OT: Recent good movies you've seen

I am so sorry that you had to sit through Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis. I am a fanatical fan of the first one. When I heard that they green lighted 2 sequels, the one you got and part 5..Rave from the Grave. I was hoping for a decent budget and maybe some good zombie action....when I heard they were going direct to DVD. Forget about it. The worst part is that in the old days....some of these movies were fun. Now with so many cheap ways of making a film...99.9 percent of these direct to dvd horror films are pure trash that have nothing left to offer. I am a huge horror nut. Ihave realy slowed down as of late just because there is nothing worth seeing horror wise. The worst is the junk shot on video and trying to pass as a feature film...some digital video can look great like Once Upon A Time in Mexico and Crank...but some of these horror films shot on DV or DVCPRO look wretched. The worst part is the Japanese industry is now going all out with shot on video horror...which sucks due to they used to have some great stuff. Bought this film blindly called Red Room. Idea sounded great. Ended up being 4 people in a room shot on video. Terrible.

I really liked Retrun of the Living Dead 3, with that chick who put those spikes in her hands and arms and stuff. I was hoping that Necropolis and Rave from Grave with it, but it didn't. I saw the previews for RotLD 4 and 5 a while ago and got really excited about them. Like you said, people think they can make a fun and gory horror film these days with just a handheld camera. I'm a huge fan of horror films that are done badly, but only to a degree.

saw 300 on the IMAX today....really good film. The funniest thing was right at the end when the final shot faded to black and the audience was silent from the film the credits just beging and within less than 5 seconds of that happening the sound cuts out and this guy is on the intercom telling everyone to pick up thier mess and head for the doors....WTF...many film enthusiest watch the whole credit sequence and basically they interupted the film by doing this. I got a good laugh though.

300 is worth every penny on the IMAX screen.

Over the weekend I watched Big Fish for the second time since I saw back in the theaters. I liked it the first time and I liked it even more the second time. Great story, great acting, Tim Burton is a genious.

Over the weekend I watched Big Fish for the second time since I saw back in the theaters. I liked it the first time and I liked it even more the second time. Great story, great acting, Tim Burton is a genious.

Big Fish was really good. One ofthe few Tim Burton films that didnt fall apart by the end. I think Tim Burton has great idea's, great visuals and gets great actors, but he needs someone behind him to help him with pacing and how to tell the story. So many of his films have became a victim of bad storytelling.

Just watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape (yeah my job has it's advantages sometimes)....Johnny Depp rocked as usual, beyond that it was more or less just a typical sappy drama....

Big Fish was really good. One ofthe few Tim Burton films that didnt fall apart by the end. I think Tim Burton has great idea's, great visuals and gets great actors, but he needs someone behind him to help him with pacing and how to tell the story. So many of his films have became a victim of bad storytelling.

I'm probably not a good one to debate Tim Burton with since I'm a Tim Burton fanboy. There's very little he can do wrong in my mind.

After two failed attempts to get into a bar to catch some music on Saturday night, we ended up at the theater and saw "Premonition" with Sandra Bullock.

I thought it was done very well in the sense that it kept me guessing through the entire thing. I wouldn't say that the plot itself was original, but it held my attention nonetheless. The ending is questionable and open to interpretation. Those of you that figured out "The Sixth Sense" before it ended would probably get this one too. :Smug: I was not one of those people. Regardless, I thought it was worth seeing.

I want to see Premonition but I think it might end up waiting until DVD.

Yesterday I watched The Jerk, hysterical movie that everybody should see. Steve Martin is pure genious in this one.

I want to see Premonition but I think it might end up waiting until DVD.

Yesterday I watched The Jerk, hysterical movie that everybody should see. Steve Martin is pure genious in this one.

The Jerk is one of my favorite films of all time.....stay far away from the bad sequel....the Jerk Too. It pops up on cable once in a while.

Zero desire to see Premonition. There are so many bad US thriller/horror films out there. They all blend together into one giant uncreative mess.

To carry on..

Chocolat - Really good movie, some great acting in this movie and Mr. Depp once again shines despite his onscreen time being rather short

Envy - Great cast with Jack Black, Ben Stiller and Christopher Walken, okay movie..had it's moments laugh wise, probably worth one watch.

Haven't had much time to post here in the last couple of weeks but here's what I've watched...

King Kong - Long and for the most part rather boring, give me the original version anytime. I'm a big Jack Black fan and he was miscast for this movie.

Blood Diamond - Excellent flick, Leonardo Decaprio was once again excellent.

The Pursuit of Happyness - Will Smith never fails, I didn't realize this was a "true story". It's worth at least a rental.

L.A Confidential - This one was so so, it was trying to be a movie with a twist ending but it failed, the twist could be figured out pretty much in the first half.

I watched STALINGRAD last weekend. Really good film about WW2, it was interesting to see the Germans side of things. The movie is cool because you see the hell everyone had to endure.

Also watched NO MAN's LAND....best thing I have watched this month. it is about the Serbian and Bosnian war. basically there is three soilders stuck in a trench...two from one side and the other from the other...wont say how they all end up there but one guy is stuck laying on a land mine. Basically the UN, a CNN type news crew and all the milatary turn up to make things "good". This film really show the stupidy of war and stuff. Very downbeat but funny at the same time.

Watching Das Boot right now. Started the other night but I was getting tired.