Movies

it's getting kinda weird that the Hollywood-made-movies based on pre-existing-source-material can't just show characters being gay onscreen when those characters are gay in the source-material

Harley Quinn breaks up with Joker in the comics, this is followed by Harley getting into a lesbian relationship with Poison Ivy
Harley Quinn breaks up with Joker in the movies, this is followed by Harley deciding that she doesn't wanna date anyone at all
and the "reference" to Harley being Bi-sexual is a total blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment

and before the Eternals had a gay character
Marvel had a problem of not wanting to show gay characters in the MCU
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marv...-rather-than-later_n_5b149462e4b02143b7cd8004

https://www.insider.com/avengers-mcu-characters-who-are-gay-lgbtq-in-comics-2019-5

https://www.pride.com/geek/2020/4/2...e-straightwashed-screen#media-gallery-media-8

this, to me, is getting stupid
if you're gonna put gay/bi-sexual characters on the bigscreen don't "straightwash" them
it's gotten to the point where "straightwashing" is actually a word now

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=straightwashed+characters

We've been watching the old Hammer horror films. I'm not a fan of horror (especially if it's mindless slasher stuff, etc.) but I like thrillers and some of these movies have interesting spiritual or social commentary. We've watched Jekyll and Hyde, Phantom of the Opera, the first two Frankenstein movies, The Mummy, Never Take Candy From a Stranger, and Scream of Fear. I've been saving the Dracula films and The Devil Rides Out which sound like the best.

Of course, we've also been watching Christmas movies. Watched a couple adaptations of the Scrooge story. I still like the George C. Scott version the best. Oh, and It's a Wonderful Life has been viewed a good three times.

I'm interested in digging into classic cinema from the 30s-70s so I'm focusing on older movies.

I watched Old and the new Matrix movie on bootleg tv

Both were entertaining but wholly unnecessary. Matrix felt like a retread

Matrix felt like a retread
are you saying that the very-first Matrix movie was a re-tread??
what exactly would that very first Matrix movie be a re-tread of??

i mean
the very first John Wick movie looked like a film-version of those old-school splatter-punk novels that no movie-studio will ever make into movies

Jupiter Ascending totally reminded me of those 1930s sci-fi stories complete with people walking around on the planet Jupiter and "Jupiter Jones" being a sci-fi-alliteration-name like Max Mercury, Silver Surfer, or Otto Octavius

and maybe the very first Matrix was a re-tread of those dystopian-future-novels kinda,
but to me that very first Matrix movie didn't really have that strong of a "re-tread" feel that Jupiter Ascending and John Wick had

but even having a super-strong-re-tread feel isn't really a bad-thing to me
if the movie is done well

i really loved both Jupiter Ascending and John Wick

@Bloopy
@Obscureinfinity
i wanna say that i understand the whole "respect for the dead thing" but
honestly
am i the only one waiting for the winner of the Chadwick Boseman look-alike-contest to play T'Challa in another Black Panther movie

it's just that
with Boseman dead, and them doing the whole "respect for the dead" thing of not re-casting T'challa
then we now have no black characters in the MCU after this whole "Wakanda forever" movie that obviously takes place "during the blip"

they're talking about a black dude playing Blade in the MCU,
NOW
but the refusal to re-cast T'Challa draws attention to the fact that really Blade could have been in the MCU the whole fucking time
he's eventually gonna have to say the phrase so why couldn't they have just done that in the beginning??

they could have just shown Blade standing on the ground looking up at Iron-man flying above and saying
"If it doesn't involve vampires, it's not my problem"
he says the phrase a bunch of times in the comics, he says it when Blade apaers in the 1990's Spiderman cartoon
and IIRC i think even Wesley Snipes says it somewhere in the Blade trilogy
so why could they have not just had him say it in the MCU right when Disney acquired the movie rights to Blade??

also
Luke Cage not on the big screen??

come on
refusing to re-cast T'Challa
and
NOT having Blade instantly join the MCU when they first acquired the ability to do so
and
Luke Cage not being able to get onto the big screen??

all these together makes it pretty clear that studio execs are being racist
it's like they're making movies for white-supremacists to watch instead of making plots that make sense

i'm trying to avoid sounding like a lame-ass SJW here
but the MCU is weirdly refusing to make the movies that i wanna see
and it's gotten to the point of just being unmistakably racist
by having Blade say "the phrase" he could have been in the MCU the whole fucking time
and now, the way they built-up all the interconnected movies, they're definitely going to have to have him say "the phrase" anyway, just to fit him into the MCU anyway,

Luke Cage being "the black guy" in the "Civil War" movie just made so much more sense than T'Challa
but now with T'Challa not being re-cast, they still can't get Luke Cage onto Movie Theater Screens??
Come on now
Kevin Fiege needs to be called out as a racist
and Luke Cage needs to get onto the big Screen

Last edited:
Saw the new SpiderMan. I dont know. It was def cool seeing all the spideys together, and it revealed that Tom Holland is clearly the weakest of the three as far as spideys go. But the absence of a True Big Bad (spare me, Green Goblin was lame) hurt the film. But I cant deny the nostalgia hit hard seeing all the Maguire baddies back in action, especially Doc Ock.

And this scene was the best of the movie. So much in a mere 30 seconds. Doc Ock was speaking to us, those that have been there since the beginning...

Last edited:
Saw the new SpiderMan. I dont know. It was def cool seeing all the spideys together, and it revealed that Tom Holland is clearly the weakest of the three as far as spideys go. But the absence of a True Big Bad (spare me, Green Goblin was lame) hurt the film. But I cant deny the nostalgia hit hard seeing all the Maguire baddies back in action, especially Doc Ock.

And this scene was the best of the movie. So much in a mere 30 seconds. Doc Ock was speaking to us, those that have been there since the beginning...

ehh
for me, seeing all the spidermen together just seemed like a deus ex machina explaining why they kept re-casting Peter Parker

i mean, the scene where MCU spiderman meets the previous 2 was an "emotional scene" that was done really well,
and the lab scene was pretty funny

but seeing the 3 of them together just kinda made me wonder how awesome it could have been to have just had one single actor playing peter parker through-out all the spiderman movies

rank all the movies with Spiderman in them from best to worst

@Bloopy
totally wish that the completely out-of-the-closet-gay-guy was still here to comment on this

it's getting kinda weird that the Hollywood-made-movies based on pre-existing-source-material can't just show characters being gay onscreen when those characters are gay in the source-material

Harley Quinn breaks up with Joker in the comics, this is followed by Harley getting into a lesbian relationship with Poison Ivy
Harley Quinn breaks up with Joker in the movies, this is followed by Harley deciding that she doesn't wanna date anyone at all
and the "reference" to Harley being Bi-sexual is a total blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment

and before the Eternals had a gay character
Marvel had a problem of not wanting to show gay characters in the MCU
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marv...-rather-than-later_n_5b149462e4b02143b7cd8004

https://www.insider.com/avengers-mcu-characters-who-are-gay-lgbtq-in-comics-2019-5

https://www.pride.com/geek/2020/4/2...e-straightwashed-screen#media-gallery-media-8

this, to me, is getting stupid
if you're gonna put gay/bi-sexual characters on the bigscreen don't "straightwash" them
it's gotten to the point where "straightwashing" is actually a word now

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=straightwashed+characters