Movies

I’ve tried to watch so many movies lately. I’ve turned nearly all of them off. Content is just *so fucking bad*. This drivel is churned out for people who have literally no interests and just sit in front of a TV. It reminds of the 24 hour news cycle. The air *must* be filled with something or viewers won’t watch.
I should be keeping track of them for the lolz.
One I tried watching last night is *The Virtuoso*. Ha! I could feel my IQ dropping watching this. Every possible cliche was crammed into it.

Reactions: einride
I keep telling myself I will watch Suicide Squad or Pig (new Nick Cage movie). I never do.

Instead I watch reruns of Seinfeld, which will be on Netflix soon

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I keep telling myself I will watch Suicide Squad or Pig (new Nick Cage movie). I never do.

Made myself sit down and watch both of these.

Pig was totally not what I expected. It was both kinda refreshing and disappointing. Nic Cage gave a good performance without his normal Cage-iness with wild looks, insane lines and mondo violence. Hard to recommend though

The Suicide Squad
Glad I watched this 2nd, because it lifted my spirits. This shit was a fun wild ride. Bloody as hell. Makes Deadpool's body count look tame and pussified. I hate the dude, but John Cena stole the show. Recommended. Probably fun for drinking too. Every time someone says "fuck" or a superhero dies, everyone takes a shot

Reactions: lurch70
Fear Street 1994 = kind of okay, mostly
Fear Street 1978 = fuckin' RAD :kickass:
Fear Street 1666 = haven't watched it but I'm already giving it 666 stars for the preview

News of the World ... terrible title and not a great trailer probably made a lot of people skip this.

Amazing movie ... pure, classic style cinema. Best western since Unforgiven.
YMMV.

Free Guy

My son and I liked this a lot. It's part Ready Player One and part Grand Theft Auto/Fortnite.

But the societal question was spot on:

Why do players (kids and adults, alike) choose violent games like Fortnite/GTA over world-building and interaction games like Minecraft (I'm sure there's a better example but I'm no gamer)?

Shazam!

I had fun with this. I went in with no expectations and really just watched it because I couldnt find anything else. It was a fun, light hearted superhero movie with lots of laughs thrown in.

I will probably watch all of them in time. Im not a diehard MCUer like I was before Endgame. But I still enjoy them to an extent. I havent watched Falcon and Winter Soldier, Shang Chi, or the Black Widow movie. Maybe some day.

I did watch Dune on bootleg TV. Since its out on HBOMax, there was an HD version available. Fantastic movie. It helps if youve read the books. I've read criticisms about certain things that the book goes in greater detail on such as The Guild, the Sardaukar, Mentats, etc. I was pleased the director stuck to the books in certain things such as Duncan Idaho, the grotesque but brilliant Baron Harkonnen, among others. All the campiness from the 1984 version is gone.

I, however, wasnt sold on Zendaya as Chani. I have no problems with her, but she wasn't as fierce as the Chani in the books. I eagerly await the sequel and hope he continues into the following books, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. And even hopefully further into God Emperor of Dune.

I will probably watch all of them in time. Im not a diehard MCUer like I was before Endgame. But I still enjoy them to an extent. I havent watched Falcon and Winter Soldier, Shang Chi, or the Black Widow movie. Maybe some day.

I did watch Dune on bootleg TV. Since its out on HBOMax, there was an HD version available. Fantastic movie. It helps if youve read the books. I've read criticisms about certain things that the book goes in greater detail on such as The Guild, the Sardaukar, Mentats, etc. I was pleased the director stuck to the books in certain things such as Duncan Idaho, the grotesque but brilliant Baron Harkonnen, among others. All the campiness from the 1984 version is gone.

I, however, wasnt sold on Zendaya as Chani. I have no problems with her, but she wasn't as fierce as the Chani in the books. I eagerly await the sequel and hope he continues into the following books, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. And even hopefully further into God Emperor of Dune.

as far as i can tell
the studio that made Villeneuve's Dune has the movie rights to every book in the entire "Dune Universe"
(someone please tell me if I'm somehow wrong about this)
and I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell the books Brian wrote after Frank's death will ever get made into movies
(sad, but kinda understandable)
but then i just somehow kinda assumed that the studio making Villeneuve's Dune is fully intending to film all of the Dune books that Frank himself wrote
(like how all 4 books of the Twilight Saga and all 7 books of the Harry Potter Book series and all 3 of the Hunger Games trilogy of books all got made into movies)
so, then, if the studio is planning to make movies out of all the Dune Books that Frank himself wrote before he died, then theoretically, this actually is the explanation of why the first movie was not able to cover all the events of the first book, the first book was split into to 2 separate movies to make the entire movie series less confusing to people who have never read the book
if a movie is based on a book, then I'm sure @Einherjar86 will go ahead and read the book before the day the movie hits theaters
but, the problem here is random American movie-goers will not
sure, this specific Dune movie was a just a little confusing for people who didn't read the source-material
but imagine how much more confusing it would have been if the movie had crammed the entire 1st book into a single 2-hour-movie
(the 1st Dune book holds the record for having been rejected by the largest number individual book publishers before finally getting published and the reason for this is because of the huge-ass-amount of epic-world-building)
splitting the first book into 2 separate movies was really the only way we'd ever be able to get the events of the 2nd book onto theater-screens
because, Hollywood movie studios don't really give a shit about fans of the source material (at least not as much as @Einherjar86 seems to think)
Hollywood makes movies that are entertaining to specific people that don't even realize that the movie they're watching is even based on anything
(think about how when the very first Spider-man movie came out, there were a shit-ton of people who didn't initially realize that the spinnerets developing inside spider-man's forearms was anything different than what was in the comics, who the fuck was a hard-core fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie came out??, how many fans of the guardians of the galaxy movies realize that in the 616 comics Peter Quill marries Kitty Pryde from the X-men??, how many fans of the Doctor Strange movie realize that in the comics Kitty Pryde from the X-men takes a turn being Earth's Sorcerer Supreme?? how many fans of the X-men movies know that, in the comics, Emma Frost gets impregnated by Cyclops, has sex with Cyclops' brother Havok, and eats pussy?? my point here, is that Hollywood definitely does not make movies designed to be entertaining to "fans of the source-material")
so if anything is "confusing" about Villeneuve's 1st Dune movie, these confusing things will of-course be explained in the 2nd movie, they'll have to be, to get people to watch a 3rd movie, and i think that the studio is pretty clearly already intending for there to be a 3rd movie (and a 4th) really just based on the fact that the 1st movie didn't even try to cover the end of the 1st book

The director intimated he wants to cover Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. But if he goes into God Emperor of Dune, he going into bizarro Dune, as anyone who has read the books knows. Leto II is 3500 years old and is a sandworm with a human face and arms.

Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse are much more straight up action stories with the Tleilaxu and Honored Matres

Ive read all the Brian Herbert books and while they are entertaining as stopgaps and fill-ins, they more or less suck.

The director intimated he wants to cover Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. But if he goes into God Emperor of Dune, he going into bizarro Dune, as anyone who has read the books knows. Leto II is 3500 years old and is a sandworm with a human face and arms.

Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse are much more straight up action stories with the Tleilaxu and Honored Matres

Ive read all the Brian Herbert books and while they are entertaining as stopgaps and fill-ins, they more or less suck.
i don't know how far they'll actually get
but if this first one does well enough
i think that they'll have pre-production and maybe a few days of principal-photography on the 3rd one done the day before the 2nd one hits theaters
to me this just feels like it's going to be a series like how Twilight Saga and Harry Potter and Hunger Games filmed all the books

the MCU movie Eternals has some gay characters in it and then this shit happened

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...s/news-story/f994167f8b88f500f53af40ec551ae4d

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/11/a...rnals-ban-gay-characters-ignornat-1234676772/

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/gay-superhero-eternals-glaad-1235105082/