OT: Recent good movies you've seen

GateXII

Soul Collector
Jun 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
www.twelfthgate.net
Just watched the Gridiron Gang movie last night. I tend to like football movies, and this one is by far the best one I've ever seen. It's a true story too. I highly recommend it!

Believe it or not, "The Rock" does a great job in it, and the football scenes were not "staged". They actually ran plays & it was full contact....and you can tell the difference from other movies. Plus, the plot/story is the best out of any of the ones I've seen...maybe cuz it's a true story. ;)

Last movie I saw that I liked was CLERKS 2.
*inbeforeBobwithIHATEKEVINSMITHmovies* :lol:

Aside from that, I have seen mostly kids movies this year.
(Curious George easily being the best).

Last movie I saw that I liked was CLERKS 2.
*inbeforeBobwithIHATEKEVINSMITHmovies* :lol:

Aside from that, I have seen mostly kids movies this year.
(Curious George easily being the best).

Yeah...Clerks 2 was great...prolly even better than the first one. The dialog about which is the true "Trilogy" was hilarious!!

And thanks for the reminder about Curious George...I was supposed to queue that up on Netflix for my boy. ;)

Yeah...Clerks 2 was great...prolly even better than the first one. The dialog about which is the true "Trilogy" was hilarious!!

And thanks for the reminder about Curious George...I was supposed to queue that up on Netflix for my boy. ;)

You guys have kids? I didn't know that.......
I had to buy the DVD the day it came out or else! :lol:

Heh....is that a question for anyone? If it is, I have two girls, 8 and 11, and I'm done too!! I don't know how to put pics up on here, so I just put links to them...My Hope and Elizabeth (these pics are about 3 years old, but they haven't changed too much.....aren't they cute? They take after their dad lol)
~Annie

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/9a4dLgmIozP/__sr_/470c.jpg?tkn=phUTTsFB4uswEppu&saveas=HOPE

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/9a4dLgmIozP/__sr_/a03f.jpg?tkn=phUTTsFBht1mJ3L.&saveas=ELIZAB~1

Last movie I saw in the theaters was Saw III last fall. I love those movies.

As far as recent DVD's I've finally watched - X3, Pirates II. Still have to watch Davinci Code and Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire, both of whice I've seen before.

I have one daughter, who is 2 1/2 years old.
Here she is!
MadelynApril-July2006178.jpg

The best movies I've seen in the theater recently have been The Good Shepherd, Apocalypto and Children of Men. If I had to recommend one of them, it would be Children of Men.

Rental-wise, I've been on a western kick lately, so I've seen a few good ones of those. But a stand-out recent rental was Howl's Moving Castle (animation), by the same Japanese director Miyazaki who did Spirited Away. In fact, Howl's Moving Castle must be seen by all fans of November's Doom and their CD The Pale Haunt Departure just to watch the character called Turnip Head. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean; if not, rent it! :)

BTW, my two girls are 5 and 2 (almost 3). They're watching Land Before Time II while I type this. But I don't think I can recommend that one.

Ken

I have no kids...thank God!!!! My girlfriend has tons of dogs and cats and that is enough work. Plus I hate kids.

Movie wise...in theaters I have seen Children of Men, which is great. I am going to see Letters From Iwa Jima and Pans Labyrynth this weekend.

On DVD I have seen so many great films.

Paradise Now- Great film about two Muslim terrorist who are picke dto be martyrs and become human bombs and you follow them through the whole day to see if they follow through. Great film that makes you see both sides of what is going on in thier lives.

Cirruandiru- I know I spelled it wrong but it is about the prision riot in the famous Brazillain prison many years ago. great film....felt like a spanish version of Oz, with the way it was done with backstories and so on.

Calvaire - creepy odd film about a guy who' car breaks down and the town is all men and lots of odd things start happening to him and he cant escape and basically gets sodomoized and tortured.

I have tons more still to watch...hopefully tonight I can watch a few before falling asleep. I have more dvd's than CD's....last count I was at 900 DVD's

The Prestige was excellent... kept me guessing the whole way. well, most of the way. but that's a pretty big feat for movies nowadays.

Thank You For Smoking and Little Miss Sunshine were also very good.

The last movies I saw that really blew me away were Serenity and Sin City, in 2005.

Looking forward to Ghost Rider (been waiting for this movie for years!) and Pan's Labyrinth. Also hoping to watch A Scanner Darkly on DVD.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth yesterday and it was definitely interesting. There should have been more fantasy styled stuff rather than lots of WW II stuff.

Looking forward to Ghost Rider (been waiting for this movie for years!) and Pan's Labyrinth. Also hoping to watch A Scanner Darkly on DVD.

WOW!!!!! I think you are the only person on Earth excitged for Ghost Rider. The film looks absolutly wretched. Even the studio dumped it 6 months later after screening it to a slow time of year for movies. This is a nail in the coffin for comic book films. They totally wrecked the orgin of the character. Really bad digital effects and bad acting are going to destroy this film. I liked the original series from the 70's / 80's. The re-launch in the 90's was rally good for the first 20 issues. Now I could care less for the character.

I actually don't give a rat's ass about the comic... the only comic I ever liked much was The Punisher... the Ghost Rider movie looks dark and cool, and I'm a big Nick Cage fan (who isn't?). And, it couldn't possibly be worse than The Hulk... I don't know how a movie with Jennifer Connelly can possibly suck so bad.

And, when DON'T they ruin the origin of the character in comic book movies? There's always a great deal of artistic license taken with the films. I actually liked the original (low-budget) version of the Punisher movie a hell of a lot more than the one that came out a few years ago, and there was almost a night-and-day difference between the comic and that movie. Ditto that with Spawn, which was a great movie despite bad acting by D.B. Sweeney.

At any rate, I have a choice of going to watch Pan's Labyrinth tonight, or watching the Red Wings play the Avs on HDNet. I haven't decided yet.

I saw "Little Children" in the theater a couple of weeks ago. It's a mildly slow drama through and through, but the performances are very good. I'd recommend it for drama fans.

And I was loaned "Assault On Precinct 13 (2005)" a couple of days ago. Loved it. A lot of action and the first 5 minutes are THE SHIT.

Just saw Pan's Labrynth....good but highly over rated. I even went in with low expectations due to my feelings on all the directors work...his films look great and have great idea's.....just the follow through are always a let down.

Saw The Hitcher on Saturday. So-so movie. Could have been better if they sent in more depth on Sean Bean's character. But the movie kept my attention and interest the whole time so that's at least good.

The Illusionist - Great movie. Great acting, good story.

The Descent - So-so movie. Didn't care about the characters, story was blah, filming was blah. The Cave is a far superior movie.