OT: Recent good movies you've seen

Saw The Hitcher on Saturday. So-so movie. Could have been better if they sent in more depth on Sean Bean's character. But the movie kept my attention and interest the whole time so that's at least good.
Have you seen the original?

The Descent - So-so movie. Didn't care about the characters, story was blah, filming was blah. The Cave is a far superior movie.

I haven't seen The Cave, so I can't compare them, but The Descent was one of my favorite movies last year. I actually enjoyed it a lot more *before* the monsters were introduced, when the movie was more just about being trapped underground. Some awesomely claustrophobic filming that gave me the heebie jeebies. Seeing it on the large screen probably helped a lot.

Ken

you must not see much. It was good but really lacking that extra punch to make it a great film.

I don't see much in theaters... about 90% of the movies we get in mainstream cinema in the US are tripe... there's an art theater in Cleveland Heights that shows some higher quality stuff (foreigns and the like), but I haven't been there yet.

I've also never seen any of GDT's work before. This film really hit the spot for me.

Have you seen the original?

I haven't seen The Cave, so I can't compare them, but The Descent was one of my favorite movies last year. I actually enjoyed it a lot more *before* the monsters were introduced, when the movie was more just about being trapped underground. Some awesomely claustrophobic filming that gave me the heebie jeebies. Seeing it on the large screen probably helped a lot.

Ken

Haven't seen the original.

I agree with you about The Cave. I was enjoying it... and then the monsters came. I was still entertained, but it seemed to become too formulaic in some ways. But I'm not a horror nut so I've since read that the woman centerered, and women fighting their way out part isn't necessarily original but its rare in such movies.

Did you rent the movie or see it in the theaters? The ending is different depending on which.

I don't see much in theaters... about 90% of the movies we get in mainstream cinema in the US are tripe... there's an art theater in Cleveland Heights that shows some higher quality stuff (foreigns and the like), but I haven't been there yet.

I've also never seen any of GDT's work before. This film really hit the spot for me.

rent The Devils Backbone....his best film

I saw Hannibal Rising a few weeks back...reviews seem to be negative for the most part but I thought it was badass. My biggest concern was how good the kid woudl be playing the role and he was awesome.

Over the weekend I saw Team America, just a funny as hell movie that mocks a lot of what we do in the modern world. Highly suggest it.

I saw Hannibal Rising a few weeks back...reviews seem to be negative for the most part but I thought it was badass. My biggest concern was how good the kid woudl be playing the role and he was awesome.

I really wanted to see this movie too, but with all the bad reviews (which I haven't actually read though), I decided to wait until it came out on DVD.

What were some of the negative reviews about? And was that really the case in your opinion?

I recently saw BREACH, the movie based on the true story
of a government spy trading secrets to the Russians for
20yrs. Awesome movie, very well done, yet very disturbing
that this was actually going on....highly recommended. I
think I'll actually dig in more on this and get few books
to read more about what actually was going on.

Cool...that was the other one I wanted to see.

The last few movies I've seen have been pretty good.

Pan's Labyrinth - looks like a kids movie, definately isn't! It has one of the coolest monsters I've ever seen! Beware, it's in Spanish with subtitles :)

The Departed - about Boston's mob scene, the police department, and rats in both!! Matt Damon is a terrific actor and a perfect fit for the role. Oh yeah, it's pretty graphic! :heh:

Bridge to Terabithia - just 'ok' but not as cool as I was hoping. I expected a big fantasy world with over-the-top creatures, beautiful landscapes, and a quest of gigantic magnitude. I wanted a 'Chronicles of Narnia' style movie. Eventually that all came very late in the film, but not for long. It was a nice, 'cute' movie about childhood imagination, and mixing the fantasy with the children's real setting helped set the movie apart from being a 'Narnia' film. In short, it was ok but I was hoping to get a little more out of it, despite it being a 'kids' movie.

Bad Taste - I watched this one on DVD. I heard of the fabled Peter Jackson alien gore flick, and finally I've seen it! Gore, gore, gore, aliens, gore, gore, dark humor, gore, guns, gore, gore, and gore pretty much sums up the plot. It won't win any awards, and it's rather low-tech, but you just have to see this for the laughs!

it was terrible....rent Infernal Affairs....it was based on this film. Tons better.

What did you think was terrible? And you can't say that Leo DiCaprio & Matt Damon are douchebags who can't act...haha. Because although I may agree, it was the film as a whole that I thought was very good...and Marty did do a great job directing it.

I think DiCaprio and Damon are two of the better actors we have alive today. That was a great movie.

I saw Amazing Grace yesterday. A movie about the British move to abolition of slavery. Good movie.

What did you think was terrible? And you can't say that Leo DiCaprio & Matt Damon are douchebags who can't act...haha. Because although I may agree, it was the film as a whole that I thought was very good...and Marty did do a great job directing it.

Watch Infernal Affairs and you will see why the film was crap. The whole love story part of the film wasnt needed. That is the main problem with most US films....they think they need to add a romance subplot to everything...you dont.

I am not a fan of Decrapio...he played a good tard in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape and Damon was funny as the racist jerkoff in School Ties. Just the film as a whole didnt have any suspense or enough to keep me interested.

I wonder if someone else directed it if it would get the same hype....there are certain directors that people say...oh he did it...you have to like it. not me.

I want to see this too... wasn't too interested in the plot originally, but then I found out that the girl from Wonderfalls (Caroline Dhavernas) is in it. ;)

I saw Babel this weekend... cool movie about our globalized world, and how stuff that happens to someone on one side of the planet can radically affect what happenes to someone on the other side of the planet. Plus, lots of fun graphic violence and some decent nudity. ;)

I really wanted to see this movie too, but with all the bad reviews (which I haven't actually read though), I decided to wait until it came out on DVD.

What were some of the negative reviews about? And was that really the case in your opinion?

The biggest complaint seems to be that it's more of a "slasher/revenge" type flick rather than really go into detail regarding why Hannibal is like he is. I think if it took the route that everybody think it should have it would be beating the subject to death. You got a good overview of what went on and then what I thought was a great story as to how his first murders took place.

The other big complaint was Gasspard as Hannibal. The guys not Anthony Hopkins but he does a great job as portraying a young Hannibal Lectur. I love Anthony Hopkins in these movies so this was my biggest worry and Gasspard surpassed my expectations.

I'm a bit of a sucker with the Hannibal movies but I'm also very picky.