OT: Recent good movies you've seen

What did you think was terrible? And you can't say that Leo DiCaprio & Matt Damon are douchebags who can't act...haha. Because although I may agree, it was the film as a whole that I thought was very good...and Marty did do a great job directing it.

I also think Leo and Matt are two fo the better actors of our time, both seem to get a bad rep and it seems to be more because it's the thing to do. They aren't my favorites but they certainly are far from being bad like people claim (I think the same thing about Afflec to who is another guy who gets shit from everybody).

Watch Infernal Affairs and you will see why the film was crap. The whole love story part of the film wasnt needed. That is the main problem with most US films....they think they need to add a romance subplot to everything...you dont.

Love is something most people can relate to, it certainly is one thing that can play with emotions on all spectrum and therefore helps people relate to the characters better. It's a lot easier for people to get into a movie when they can develope some kind of attachment to the characters.

I plan on watching The Departed this week, I'm a nut for Martin Scorsese, he's put out some real bombs over the years but you have to admit he's put out some of the best movies of our time, especially mob movies.

Name one Scorsese bomb, please.

I know I'll take some shit for it but Taxi Driver IMO wasn't good. Bomb probably isn't the right word cause it seems that the general opinion is it's far from a bomb but I just didn't like it (I'm a big Deniro fan too..go figure).

Cape Fear and Gangs of New York are a couple of others that I didn't enjoy.

Oddly, I've never seen Taxi Driver. I really ought to.

I loved Cape Fear. And Gangs of New York might grow on you. First time I watched it I didn't care much for it. But somebody kept telling me that it was very good, so I finally watched it again and decided that it was absolutely brilliant.

If only we could watch movies 10 times in a row like we might listen to an album to decide how good it is.

Which on a side topic, makes me find funny how movie critics watch a movie once and then write a review. And yet, people treat the review like its anything other than a first impression. Hell they often write the reviews before letting it sink in. Meh. I guess this is why I started only allowing critic reviews, to act as a small filter. I know they don't have the time, nor opportunity to really watch a movie before writing a review.

But other reasons I suppose too. With albums if we buy one we don't buy it for one listen. Whereas if we are choosing to go see a movie, we are choosing to only go see it once. And we want to know how much we might enjoy it on that first watch. Because after that, we can decide if we really want to watch it again and don't need critics to help us with that (other than "blind" buys of DVDs perhaps?). Tangent/rant over.

Oddly, I've never seen Taxi Driver. I really ought to.

I loved Cape Fear. And Gangs of New York might grow on you. First time I watched it I didn't care much for it. But somebody kept telling me that it was very good, so I finally watched it again and decided that it was absolutely brilliant.

If only we could watch movies 10 times in a row like we might listen to an album to decide how good it is.

Which on a side topic, makes me find funny how movie critics watch a movie once and then write a review. And yet, people treat the review like its anything other than a first impression. Hell they often write the reviews before letting it sink in. Meh. I guess this is why I started only allowing critic reviews, to act as a small filter. I know they don't have the time, nor opportunity to really watch a movie before writing a review.

But other reasons I suppose too. With albums if we buy one we don't buy it for one listen. Whereas if we are choosing to go see a movie, we are choosing to only go see it once. And we want to know how much we might enjoy it on that first watch. Because after that, we can decide if we really want to watch it again and don't need critics to help us with that (other than "blind" buys of DVDs perhaps?). Tangent/rant over.

Taxi Driver had some good scenes but a majority of the movie was just slow and plodding along...

I agree on the critics, I really don't listen to what the critics say about something..instead I find myself going to various movie sites and listening to what fans and people like me have to say about a movie. After a while you'll find people who have similar tastes to yours just like you would on these sites and tend to listen to what they have to say instead.

Bad Taste - I watched this one on DVD. I heard of the fabled Peter Jackson alien gore flick, and finally I've seen it! Gore, gore, gore, aliens, gore, gore, dark humor, gore, guns, gore, gore, and gore pretty much sums up the plot. It won't win any awards, and it's rather low-tech, but you just have to see this for the laughs!

Amazing movie, Braindead/Dead Alive is a great Peter Jackson movie also, I still gotta watch Meet the Feebles when I get a chance, if only he were to make a movie on the budget he has now a days.

'Children of Men'
Set in the United Kingdom of 2027, in a dystopian future where two decades of sterility have left the population with less than a century to survive, the resulting societal collapse leads to terrorism, environmental destruction, and millions of refugees
Highly recommended -

Battle Royale is one of the greatest films ever made. Great idea and it works on so many levels. Great performances all around. Stay far away from the sequel.

DeadAlive is another great film. Hopefully they release the fully uncut print on DVD in the states soon. That is the rare film that can blend comedy and horror well.

A great film series worth tracking down is the Torente series.

I just watched The Host on DVD....it is hitting theaters very soon. Worth seeing....one of the better monster films around that you will ever see.

I watched Requiem For a Dream last night, a real bizzare, what the fuck is going on type movie involving different types of addictions. I highly suggest checking this one out if you get a chance.

The last movie I saw was THE FOX AND THE HOUND.
How can you not cry at the scene where the old lady takes the Fox to leave him in the forest so he won't get shot by the guy who's dog he hurt........ :cry:

Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny :lol:

Worth it just to see Dio's cameo...and he sings! :headbang: And seeing Dave Grohl as Satan is pretty cool too. :lol:

i love that fucking movie man, I bought the DVD on Tuesday and the extras in it are hysterical. Fuck the entire movie has me pissing my pants every time I see, the D fucking rock.

The D for Powerfest!

The last movie I saw was THE FOX AND THE HOUND.
How can you not cry at the scene where the old lady takes the Fox to leave him in the forest so he won't get shot by the guy who's dog he hurt........ :cry:

I sobbed like a little girl at that movie.... when I was 5!! :lol: ;)

Nah, just kidding! It's a classic. Glad someone else still appreciates it.