Recommend good NON-Hollywood movies

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
I don't know many movies beside what's produced in north america and a few animes.

There must be some good European movies, right ?
I've watched the Millennium trilogy before they made it in Hollywood, and it was very good. From Sweden I think it was.

I want to discover my planet a little.. Any mind-blowing production you could recommend ?

Oldboy (the korean version not the lame american one) is the first one that comes to mind.

"Paprika" and "Perfect blue" are two anime movies I watched recently that I really liked.

"Hero" (2002)

"House of the flying daggers"

If you can find the screen version of the Vilhelm Moberg - The Emigrants series. It is really great and a great document of how the situation was for the Swedes in the 19th century and why as many as 1.3million Swedes immigrated to the US. (roughly 30% of the population at that time) It's considered to be one of the best films ever made in Sweden.

oldboy as mentioned is my favorite non hollywood movie, here are some of my favourites from around the world in no order,

"City of God" is a brazillian movie, totally amazing based on a true story,

you should also check out "Die Welle"(the wave) a german movie from 2008, which is also amazing,

English director Shane meadows has two movies that are must sees "Dead mans shoes" and "this is england" both very tense, but essential viewing,

Don't know if "In Bruges" was hollywood made, think it was english, a bit lighter and funny sometimes but, also quite dark.

"The Proposition" is awesome, nick cave wrote the soundtrack it's like a western but based in Australiain the 19th century (and way cooler than westerns)

"Gegen die Wand" (Head-On)

"La Haine" (Hate) A very powerful film, based on youth-riots in France 1993 and deals with discrimination, police power, social evils

Amores Perros This one isn't European obviosuly (Mexican) but one of my favorites. If you don't know him, check out his other films (Alejandro Iñárritu). He brilliantly tells several basically different but intertwining stories and how incidents affect different lives.

Das Leben der Anderen (The lives of the others) Set in East-Berlin 1984 and has a pretty up to date topic (surveillance society)

Depends on what genres you like. I think there are some very good European productions, but most of the ones i know aren't really action-related or anything. I think they tend to have a thick underlying atmosphere which the movie builds around. If you are into that kind of thing, check some of these out.

Some German ones that come to mind are: "Was nützt die Liebe in Gedanken", "Good Bye Lenin!", "Lola rennt", "Der Krieger und die Kaiserin". I think all of those have English translations.

I also liked "The Science of Sleep", which is French/Italian.

"Wild Strawberries" is a Swedish cult classic. it's one of those movies where I wouldn't be able to explain afterwards what happened in the movie, but I remember feeling very satisfied.

I wish I could recommend something from my own country, but I cannot remember any Dutch movies that didn't feel really odd to me :( Except for "Ciske de Rat", but i don't think there is a translation for that.

Amores Perros This one isn't European obviosuly (Mexican) but one of my favorites. If you don't know him, check out his other films (Alejandro Iñárritu). He brilliantly tells several basically different but intertwining stories and how incidents affect different lives.

Das Leben der Anderen (The lives of the others) Set in East-Berlin 1984 and has a pretty up to date topic (surveillance society)

Can vouch for these two, along with City of God. If you're into Brazilian films, Bus 174 is very good as well. It takes a true news story about a guy who hijacked a city bus in Rio and investigates his life, his backstory, and what led him to that moment.

Some of my favorites:

Which Way Home, about Central American migrant children riding on top of trains to try to get into the United States. One of the most heartbreaking films you'll ever see.

The Motorcycle Diaries, about a young Che Guevara's motorcycle trip with his friend across Latin America. Beautiful cinematography.

The Return, a Russian film about an absentee father. Saying anything else would spoil the plot, but suffice it to say it's incredibly bleak.

Incendies. It's a movie about the Lebanese Civil War, but again, saying anything else would spoil it. I would actually rank this as the second- or third-best film I've ever seen.

edit: I second Nimvi's rec of Goodbye Lenin, and if you like Daniel Bruhl as an actor, I also recommend The Edukators. Takes a wild turn about halfway through that you don't expect.

Some more amaing recommendations in this thread alot of which i've got to check out, i forgot all about the movie REC, think its the only horror movie that made me scream at one point,

Flickering Lights / The Green Butchers / Adam's Apples (Danish, from the same director)
Borgman / Van God Los (Dutch)
La Vita E Bella (Italian)
Offline (Belgian)
Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish)

Being Canadian I imagine you've seen it, but if not I think "Cube" is a brilliant piece of writing (the way every character does a totally believable 180 from the beginning of the movie to the end) and is more than convincing enough despite its limited budget

Also, I know this is both an american/german production, but it's one of the coolest movies I've seen in a while: Only Lovers Left Alive
Yes the name and synopsis sound boring, but damn it was awesome. Don't get fooled by other shitty vampire movies, the topic is still awesome ;)
Especially if you're into audio-engineering, guitars and music

+1 for Adam's apples and Hot fuzz

Delicatessen (French)
Braindead 1992 (NZ)
Monty Python all, especially The holy grail and The meaning of life
Trainspotting
Guy Ritchie movies pre Hollywood
Kusturica movies especially Black cat white cat
Jean Reno starred movies (Leon, Crimson Rivers, etc), Taxi movies (French)

Being Canadian I imagine you've seen it, but if not I think "Cube" is a brilliant piece of writing (the way every character does a totally believable 180 from the beginning of the movie to the end) and is more than convincing enough despite its limited budget

I genuinely enjoyed the first half of this movie, thought it was brilliant, especially for pre-dating the "Saw" franchise, the concept was brilliant, but it changed too fast for me, after about half way i couldn't take the Quentin character seriously anymore, me and my girlfriend where in hysterical laughter, but alot of people rate it very highly, just personally didn't enjoy it, i have never seen the two follow up movies but probably will someday.