OT: Recent good movies you've seen

Beleive me....it is better. I know what you mean. I have over 900 DVD's at home and maybe seen only half of them.

Damn, I just use Netflix. I'd love to collect DVD's but between not having an endless supply and a CD/Music addiction I have to draw the line somewhere on my hobbies. I do end up buying movies however that I really love but given that I watch on average a movie a day I'd be broke :loco:

btw I'm always looking for movie suggestions so if you have anything that you think we should all see please let us know!

Since my last post...

Dr Strangelove - A real early Stanley Kubrick movie, a very dark comedy, loved every second of it. I don't think they could have cast this movie any better.

House of 1000 Corpses - Yeah finally just getting around to this and well...one of the worst movies I've ever watched perdiod.

Almost Heroes - I'm a big Chris Farley fan but this one just fell way short, a few good laughs but beyond that just boring and rather unfunny.

Red Dragon - Just a rewatch but Hannibal rocks, nuff said

Batman & Robin - Another one I wanted to see again just to make sure it was bad (since I am such a huge Batman fan). Everybody was mismatched in this movie except for Uma. Clooney is just an awful Batman, it seems they almost were trying to turn this into something on the lines of the old Adam West TV series.

Dr Strangelove - A real early Stanley Kubrick movie, a very dark comedy, loved every second of it. I don't think they could have cast this movie any better.

still haven't seen it... it's on my queue though.

House of 1000 Corpses - Yeah finally just getting around to this and well...one of the worst movies I've ever watched perdiod.

bad, but entertaining... I'm told that The Devil's Rejects is better.

Almost Heroes - I'm a big Chris Farley fan but this one just fell way short, a few good laughs but beyond that just boring and rather unfunny.

I concur.

Can't believe no one has made a comment about 300 yet! Saw it on Saturday and, despite the exsessive use of slow-motion, the movie is bueatifully orchestrated and watches more like a moving oil painting than real-life images. Plot is taken right out of the history books, even includes actual historical quotes(!), costuming is tremendous (Xerxes, wow!), the music is modern heavy metal, the lighting effects were great and the choreography must have taken weeks to master! In short, the film was a glorified ancient battle flick - but a good one!

Can't believe no one has made a comment about 300 yet! Saw it on Saturday and, despite the exsessive use of slow-motion, the movie is bueatifully orchestrated and watches more like a moving oil painting than real-life images. Plot is taken right out of the history books, even includes actual historical quotes(!), costuming is tremendous (Xerxes, wow!), the music is modern heavy metal, the lighting effects were great and the choreography must have taken weeks to master! In short, the film was a glorified ancient battle flick - but a good one!

I saw "300" over the weekend too. It definately had a great "look" to it. I really liked the use of desaturated colors and artistic lighting, etc. But, I came to the conclusion (IMO) that this "look" is really all that made this movie. If it was filmed w/o slow motion, with normal skin tones, etc... It would have been a pretty bad movie. The plot and acting was only "ok" at best. However, this was one of those cases where the special effects made it quite entertaining regardless...

The reviews are too mixed for me on this one and both of my trusted sources on movies tell me it fails. Since the theater is a bit pricey these days and I have a lot of flicks I want to see I only try to see the ones I know I'll enjoy and save the uncertains for DVD. I'll be waiting for DVD on this one.

Going to see in on the IMAX this sunday...cant wait.

I also just saw Zodiac which was really good.

Watched Jackie Brown last night, awesome movie! Seems to be a little more of the mature side of Tarantino. Samuel L Jackson and Rober Deniro were a great pair in this movie, and I still believe that Tarantino is the only person out there who seems to write good rolls for Mr. Jackson.

Saw Breach last week...very cool!

Saw Borat too...hilarious! Sexy time! :p

I think I'm sold on seeing 300...looks like one of those movies you really need to see in a theater to get the full effect.

I think I'm sold on seeing 300...looks like one of those movies you really need to see in a theater to get the full effect.

AGREED!!!!! If you wait for the dvd on this one, I'm afraid you'll not get the same effect, which is a pretty big part of making the film worthy of watching.

Still gotta see it on the IMAX! I can't imagine how cool that will be!!! o_O

Mr. Jingles

Return of the Living Dead Necropolis

Just rented those two movies. Renter beware...

I am so sorry that you had to sit through Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis. I am a fanatical fan of the first one. When I heard that they green lighted 2 sequels, the one you got and part 5..Rave from the Grave. I was hoping for a decent budget and maybe some good zombie action....when I heard they were going direct to DVD. Forget about it. The worst part is that in the old days....some of these movies were fun. Now with so many cheap ways of making a film...99.9 percent of these direct to dvd horror films are pure trash that have nothing left to offer. I am a huge horror nut. Ihave realy slowed down as of late just because there is nothing worth seeing horror wise. The worst is the junk shot on video and trying to pass as a feature film...some digital video can look great like Once Upon A Time in Mexico and Crank...but some of these horror films shot on DV or DVCPRO look wretched. The worst part is the Japanese industry is now going all out with shot on video horror...which sucks due to they used to have some great stuff. Bought this film blindly called Red Room. Idea sounded great. Ended up being 4 people in a room shot on video. Terrible.

I am seeing 300 on the IMAX today in a few hours...cant wait.

I am looking forward to seeing a few new films in the next month.

Severence....basically a british dark horror comedy...Deliverence meets the Office. Heard lots of great stuff about it.

Hot Fuzz...from the guys who did the TV show Spaced and Shawn of the Dead. The trailer looks just OK but veryone who has seen it loves it.

there were a few others...I will check out Grindhouse but I literally DESPISE Tarantino. I hate the fact that they are trying to make a cult film. Snakes on a Plane tried and failed....you cant force it. They are even doing missing film reels during the film and shaky prints. Lame. the fake trailers shuold be fun. I think this film is going to be a joke that not everyone is going to get....I already had to explain to tons of people what a Grindhouse theater was.