Movies

The Don

Oct 29, 2004
Evergreen, Colorado USA
Yo,

So it's my last semester of college and with a girlfriend thousands of miles away, my party mojo burned out, no work to be had, and not much else to do on weekdays, I thought it would be a good idea to start catching up on some movies I may have missed out on. I've seen a LOT of movies in the past 5-6 years due to the obligatory date BS, but I was wondering if you guys would like to share some of your all time fav. movies that I may not have seen.

Guideline 1. No LOTR, Godfather, Scarface, etc. I've seen all the badassery of the common favorites.

Guideline 2. I hate Nicholas Cage

I like the movies that are done well and have a more serious tone to them, such as:

Requiem for a Dream
Memento
Apocalypto
Crash

and so on, but I'm open to ALL genres of film (besides romantic comedies and kids movies). So let me know what some of your favorite flicks are! :hotjump:

edit: unrelated note - saw Arch Enemy and Arsis in Seattle two nights ago. Awesome show. Never knew Exodus had the power to attract 14,598 50+ year old men.

I saw Apocalypto recently and I loved it. The ending was so monumental in my opinion. It is amazing that Mel Gibson makes movies like that, but he is a total nutter.

My favourite movies are The Big Lebowski, Anchorman, The Crow, The Devil's Rejects and There Will Be Blood. Those last three are "serious" movies.

Valkyrie, Troy, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and State of Play were decent movies with a serious tone that I have watched in the passed year. That is all that I can think of right now.

Don if you liked Req you NEED to check out all of Arronofsky's other movies. Pi is really weird, The Fountain is one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen and REALLY makes you think at the end. The Wrestler is also phenomenal.

As far as newer movies, World's Greatest Dad was great. Anything Wes Anderson directed is amazing... euuhhh, I can go on.

The Big Sleep is my favorite movie.

But in less seriousness,

black-sheep.jpg

Yeah dude Pi and The Fountain kick major ass. I was kind of underwhelmed by the Fountain (mainly because I was super high and just couldn't follow along), but the experience it created was one of a kind.

Bleak Eyes, i've seen all of your recommendations except The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Is it worth watching? I've heard plenty of YES's and NO's simply based on the length and pacing.

Aeonic, did Arronofsky do The Wrestler? If so I'm def. checking that out. I guess when I think about he's definitely one of my favorite directors.

It sat here for about four months from netflix before I finally watched it, just because of how long it was. I guess it depends whether you will like it or not. I think it is was quite interesting. If you feel like making time, it may be worth it, ha. Before last year, I thought Brad Pitt was a poor actor, so I avoided most of his movies. Then I watched a handful and he is actually much better than I ever thought of.

Another Pitt movie to recommend is Burn After Reading. I loved that movie.

Yeah dude Pi and The Fountain kick major ass. I was kind of underwhelmed by the Fountain (mainly because I was super high and just couldn't follow along), but the experience it created was one of a kind.

Bleak Eyes, i've seen all of your recommendations except The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Is it worth watching? I've heard plenty of YES's and NO's simply based on the length and pacing.

Aeonic, did Arronofsky do The Wrestler? If so I'm def. checking that out. I guess when I think about he's definitely one of my favorite directors.

He directed Wrestler but did not write it unlike the latter 3 movies he did. Idk if seeing The Fountain high was a wise idea; perhaps though it made the visual experience better (as it is one of the most visually stunning movies I have ever seen, and the fact that it is so fucking stunning without using CGI wank blows my mind), but the story is very non-linear as far as "mainstream" films go and it really asks you to put pieces together yourself. You kind of have to really pay attention to every detail. The Wrestler was excellent too, and I loved the post-rock ish sountrack that accompanies the film (Arronofsky has a thing for post rock; I'm pretty sure he asked Mogwai to do the soundtrack to one of his films at one point).

I heard Arronofsky's next movie is going to be a reboot of Robocop lol. I'm sure it will pwn.

Benjamin Button was good, very good in fact, but not the best movie ever or anything like that. It was not utterly mindblowing.

EDIT: seems like this is Arronofsky's next film:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/ has me kind of worried actually because both Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman are horrific actresses.

I missed The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus I guess, but I really wanted to see it. Epic cast and Tom Waits playing Satan haha.

Requiem for a Dream
Memento

Two really fucked up, but great movies. I really liked The Wrestler (Even if not exactly accurate) from Darren and Nolan is one of my favorite directors...

Other favorites of mine include Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas, 12 Monkeys, The Prestige and Brazil. All movies that play with the inner mind in a sense. Though, Fear & Loathing is a drug induced mind boggle...probably my favorite book too, actually.

EDIT: I just remember The Fisher King is absolutely amazing as well...

...Natalie Portman [is a] horrific actress
say whaaaaat? i'll admit she was pretty bad in star wars, but look at the horrible actor she had to try to have romantic scenes with, and the god-awful dialog they were spewing! i thought she was good in the other stuff ive seen her in, plus shes like the hottest chick around right now! but i guess i havent seen too many of her movies. did you see that gansta rap thing she did for snl? i thought it was actually really funny (rare for their 'celebrity' music numbers heh).

mila kunis is pretty bad though haha. but also super hot.

say whaaaaat? i'll admit she was pretty bad in star wars, but look at the horrible actor she had to try to have romantic scenes with, and the god-awful dialog they were spewing! i thought she was good in the other stuff ive seen her in, plus shes like the hottest chick around right now! but i guess i havent seen too many of her movies. did you see that gansta rap thing she did for snl? i thought it was actually really funny (rare for their 'celebrity' music numbers heh).

mila kunis is pretty bad though haha. but also super hot.

Oh hell yeah, Portman is HOOOT... but yeah everything I've seen her in is fucking horrible in terms of her acting. V For Vendetta (which I liked overall though), all 3 Star Wars prequels... I can go on.

Agreed on Kunis.

Saw Sherlock Holmes finally, good movie. Not in my top ten, but I thought Guy Ritchie did a great job with the Sherlock Holmes legend. No real complaints here...

Also saw Avatar, once again not in my top ten by any means but...it was good.

For some fucking reason I ALWAYS get Natalie Portman mixed up with the Kiera Knightley chick, who is actually kinda sick beacause she is so skinny. But yeah, Portman is very attractive. I liked The Professional a lot and for some reason thought the Star Wars prequels were alright.

I also thought Sherlock Holmes was cool, entertaining and pretty funny. Though, I know shit about the original Sherlock Holmes and such.