Recent Films Seen

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
What have you seen lately?

For me, it's Ocean's 11, and Lord Of The Rings (twice, even tho I wasn't fussed on it the first time).

Ocean's 11 - another Soderbergh (sp?) triumph, managing to turn what could have been a run-of-the-mill heist film into a great film with a solid cast. Nice to see a director that can have a number of large stars in a movie without it turning into an ego-ridden piece of shite :)

LoTR - overhyped (how could it be anything but?), but great fantasy pic. Never read the books, tho I've read The Hobbit; I enjoyed it the first time, but not too impressed. Second time was better (tho I unfortunately fell asleep...).

I rented Cube on dvd last night and thought it was pretty good but nothing special.

I am downloading Lord of the Rings right now. I haven't read the books, but I have also read The Hobbit and liked it.

I don't get out and see many movies. I usually just wait until they come to the video stores. I am so glad I have a dvd drive for my computer now, and my brother bought us a dvd player. :D

vanilla sky - its just another total recall, from now on i call it Total Recall 3. but its okay, maybe on the verge of good.

lotr - best film of last year and another star wars (thats a good thing :))

The Last Castle - un-original prison drama thingy but having said that its good at the same time 7/10 i'd say. predictable but good, also a tiny bit unrealistic, but go see it

training Day - good, its like Arlington Road sort of idea but no way as good. (but what is?) worth seeing though - i have twice

and a few more i'll say later.

Last two films - Totr - as you've all already seen it I won'tsay nething ;)

Te devils backbone - from the cinema website - "Mexican director Del Toro's (Cronos) unconventional ghost story is wonderfully shot and steeped in atmosphere. As the Spanish civil war draws to it's close, ten year old Carlos (Fernando Tielve) is abandoned at a remote orphange. Harassed by the boys there, Carlos starts to uncover the orphanage's murky history and the shady connections between the staff there. Then there is the legend of Santi, a former pupil, who mysteriously disappeared and whose spirit is rumoured still to linger there in the darker corridors. When Carlos discovers a pale dishevelled figure one night he begins to piece together the orphanage's dreadful history and what might have fallen poor Santi. Favouring character driven emotional investment over cheap shocks, The Devil's Backbone is an unpredictable horror that builds towards a surprising and truly exciting conclusion"

Its is so fucking good! Well worth seeing ifu possibly can. But some annoying twat kept on whispering - u know the spooky sort ghosts always do - throughout the bloody film :mad: and whenever I looked at him I miossed the subtitles :mad:

Hmm...Lord of the rings...I don't go to the movies often..
Then I watched some John Cleese movie at home, I think it was called Clockwise or something...
Has anyone seen Being John Malkovich? :err:

Originally posted by ~Zeanra~

Has anyone seen Being John Malkovich? :err:

i like the bit when he goes inside his own mind. 'Malkovich, Malkovich, Malkovich...' yeah love it. as for the others, its alright, i like the twist, its good, and thingy does a good acting job, only thing is she annoys me but i understand shes sort of meant to so...

Cube was good, the ending was done in too much of a hollywood manner

The Game was good, but that was a long time ago

Let's see, Crimson Rivers was good (french movie), thriller

I recently saw Swordfish which has probably one of the most interesting and inciting open scenes that I've ever seen.

I also just saw SE7EN for the first time and Goodamn David Fincher! you did it again!
SE7EN is one of those movies where you drop everything you're doing forget about it all and just watch the movie.

I also Just saw The French Connection which is one of Hackman's best works....In fact I'd go so far as to say it is his best... Would anyone like to contest that? ;)

Originally posted by Mark
Anyone seen The Others? Brown trouser time :eek:

I saw that! It was pretty freaky... I loved that old house with the graves. It's beautiful.

Recently I saw:
Moulin Rouge -- it was better than I expected, as I thought it would be really sappy. The whole "hopeless love story" plot is a bit too overused though.

Office Space -- just hilarious. The ending was a bit dull... but other than that it was funny.

I recently saw 'A Beautiful Mind'. It was decent, but unfortunately seemed to drag on forever. The plot twist was interesting, but I didn't get hooked on the whole emotional roller coaster like some other people did.

I've been wanting to pick up "The Seventh Seal" on DVD, but am hesitant to fork over the $40 for it. It sounds pretty intriguing...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6793/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_67_1/102-8337031-9938567

Has anyone seen it?

/ruchti

Originally posted by ruchti

I've been wanting to pick up "The Seventh Seal" on DVD, but am hesitant to fork over the $40 for it. It sounds pretty intriguing...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6793/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_67_1/102-8337031-9938567

Has anyone seen it?

/ruchti
I

have and believe me, it's worth twice that amount. Ingmar Bergman is a genuis of film.
His imagry is near perfect and loaded with symbolism. Probably because he carefully orchestrates every visual aspect of the movie. He was alot like Hitchcock in that sense.
The story should pull you in and not let go until the final scene. Personally I thought all the actors played their parts extreamly well, and the whole film was one of those you could either just enjoy the story of, or you could read very deeply into.
It's third on my list of favorite movies.