Recent films

Crack Hitler

homeless
Jul 26, 2002
Finland
www.voihyvaluoja.tk
Mmm'kay. Time for a yet another movie thread. Hearing often complaints how new films are shit, I wanted to hear what recent releases you think are worth praises? Got a kick for this subject since I saw lots of great (new) films during one week of film festival here in Helsinki. So anyones seen these or other interesting movies lately?

I'll start with a huge personal surprise (this movie was added to the festival schedule just a day or so before its screening). A new animated film from France, and what a blast! http://www.bellevillerendezvous.com Really good looking animation and art and really funny, quirky and surreal humor. A winner. I want a grandma like that :D

Gus Van Sants Elephant was a real downer. Taking inspiration from the Columbine massacre this movie shows a normal high school and its students doing whatever those kids normally do during a schoolday. Before the shit hits the fan.
It's shot really realistic and with mostly improvised lines from mostly first time actors it almost feels like a document of some sort or as if you're spying these kids. It's gotten bad and mixed reviews mostly because it doesn't give 'any answers' to problems among youth that might lead to tragedy like this, but how could it?

Bodysong (www.bodysong.com) was truly interesting movie, or should I say project. For this film, not one scene was filmed. It's all archieve footage covering not less that the whole humanity but luckily it holds up really well for the whole running time. Excellent soundtrack too, composed by Radioheads Jonny Greenwood. And the website goes beoynd the film, giving background information for the clips seen in the film.

Saw lots of others too, but these just came to my mind at this point.

now you go.

Nicolas said:
Belleville RDV was a success in France, it has won a price in Cannes this year. The title in France was les Triplettes de BelleVille
I saw this film advertised everywhere when I was in London last week, and really wanted to catch it, but alas now I am back in Oz I guess It won't be hitting our shores for a while :(

i long to see Dogville

NicoleKidm_Vespa_1125483_400.jpg

'deux heures moins le quart avant jesus christ' was on telly the other night, and its probably one of the few brilliant things that ever happened in france.

ah in gent the filmfestival starts in a week, i've been browsing through the catalogue, there's one finnish movie, you know it? screaming men from
mika ronkainen...

heh what to imagine with names as 'the secret life of dentists' 'revolution will not be televised'... and gay french movies of course... yeah.

yeah i dont really get all the excitement about kidman, small tits and huge bum, omar was always on about her. denise richards 4ever like!

who cares about kidman. von trier is deffo the best thing in cinema the past decade. he has many phobias and that, so i guess that's what makes him such a goddamn briliant film maker. you can't be all normal and do films like breaking the waves or dancer in the dark. no fuckin' way. he didn't get the golden palm thing just cos he won it the previous time with dancer. dogvile should be out before christmas i reckon. ah, amazing stuff...

yep. i've seen almost all of trier's stuff. even them bizarre 80's films (element of crime, epidemic).

Actually I haven't seen much of it, "idioterne" was way beyond me. I kind of lost the respect for him when I heard all those dogme principles weren't being followed after all. And he's crazy, sais prozac is the best thing that ever happened to him!

"Epidemic" is supposed to be the worst film ever, he even sais so himself.

Crack Hitler said:
I'll start with a huge personal surprise (this movie was added to the festival schedule just a day or so before its screening). A new animated film from France, and what a blast! http://www.bellevillerendezvous.com Really good looking animation and art and really funny, quirky and surreal humor. A winner. I want a grandma like that :D
Yeah, I saw a bit of that film, it looked very cool :) Films I've seen released this year that I think are worth seeing:

Spirited Away - the new Hayao Miyazaki anime, very very cool, quite slow moving but very enjoyable - I prefer it to Princess Mononoke

Gozu - the latest Miike Takeshi to be released in the UK, funny as hell.. A yakuza horror comedy, absolutely hilarious and completely unlike most of his other work, but still undeniably Miike

Malefique - a really cool french film by Eric Valette set almost in its entirety in a single prison cell as four inmates try to escape using black magic

And the worst film I've seen this year - The House Of The Daed :D Wow that sucked

:wave:

i have been to the theatre tonight and i went to see " goodbye lenin!"

It's a very good german movie ! and Yann Tiersen did the soundtrack, wich is a good bonus ;)

sol83 said:
who cares about kidman. von trier is deffo the best thing in cinema the past decade. he has many phobias and that, so i guess that's what makes him such a goddamn briliant film maker. you can't be all normal and do films like breaking the waves or dancer in the dark. no fuckin' way. he didn't get the golden palm thing just cos he won it the previous time with dancer. dogvile should be out before christmas i reckon. ah, amazing stuff...

SPOT ON SOL!

breaking the waves...the only movied i've ever cried to.

Lenore said:
i have been to the theatre tonight and i went to see " goodbye lenin!"

It's a very good german movie ! and Yann Tiersen did the soundtrack, wich is a good bonus ;)
yes, it's quite nice, for a german movie. And about the soundtrack: Nice too, though some passages sound really similar to Amelie, or am i wrong?

has any of you ever watched 'deux heures moins le quart avant jesus christ'? kinder? arnaud?