Settings on Mesa Studio Preamp & 2:50

Deathlef

The God That Failed
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm hitting the studio in some weeks. In the past I had some major problems with my guitar tone. I decided to ask a friend to give me his Mesa Studio Preamp and his Mesa 2:50 Poweramp for the recording session. I've heard that you can get a nice metal tone with it. Maybe I'm going to put a Boss SD-1 in front of it.
I generally want to get a nice thick metal sound (compareable with Nevermore's rhythmsound on Dead Heart in a Dead World).

So my question: Do you guys have any experience with this equipment? If so, could you post some settings for the EQ or which channels you took for what style. Anyways, every hint will be appreciated.

Greetings

I'd recommend setting all of the pots to 12 o'clock and then cut and boost where you feel it is needed, it's the best way to get a sound you will like. It's even easier if you can tweak while re-amping a few pre-recorded riffs, that way you have both hands and ears instantly available to you. Instead of the usual, tweak - play/record - tweak - play/record cycle.