Seventh Wonder-trivia

AndreasBlomqvist

Mr. Bassman
Apr 19, 2008
www.seventhwonder.nu
Just for fun I was going through our past albums to see what songs we've never performed live.

Here's the list:
  • There and back
  • A day away
  • Tears for a son
  • Break the silence
  • Destiny calls
  • Back in time (duh)

(Granted, some songs we've only played live, but they still count.)

Funny how all these songs are from MF, probably because there were so many tracks on that album and we needed to have room for some old stuff on the MF tour.

Well, there you go.

Andreas, what is the one song that is toughest for you guys to nail in a live setting? It seems like most of your songs are technically challenging, but I imagine there's one or two that everyone sweats about.

A day away could be a killer live. I'm also wondering if you'll ever do MF in it's entirety on stage. That would be beyond awesomeness

you NEED to play MF from start to finish one day :)
can't believe you've never played a day away or break the silence, they're both amazing songs

With the backup vocals in Break the Silence, how do you plan on doing them live? In fact, you guys have so many backups going on, why don't you ever do them live? They make up soooo much of the songs. Like in Hide and Seek at about 6:50 you hear a OOOOHHHH WOHHH HO! That makes up such a great part of the song.

We do a fair amount of backing vocals live. It is very hard on our level to get all that across in a live setting, which certainly is one reason why it will never sound as on the album.

But in almost every track we play live there is somewhere between 2-4 harmonies on every chorus plus extra harmony parts here and there, so we certainly do backing vocals live to. However, noone sings as good as TOmmy so of course it will never sound as on the album. But most poeple hear us more often on the album than live so I am ok with having it that way.

Examples:
Hide and seek, Taint the sky and Edge of my blade all have four harmonies on all the choruses, as do Not an Angel and Paradise.

Sometimes it is simply to difficult on the guitar for Johan to sing at the same time, some other time it is too difficult for Kyrt or Johnny (I don't sing).
In those cases we have 2-3 harmony parts, like Banish the Wicked or Unbreakable where the chorus on guitar is too odd to sing over.

Andreas, what is the one song that is toughest for you guys to nail in a live setting? It seems like most of your songs are technically challenging, but I imagine there's one or two that everyone sweats about.

Hi!

I can't answer that for all of us since sometimes a song can be quite easy on guitar and horribly difficult on bass or vice versa.
For me personally Destiny Calls is the toughest one on bass all together I think. Not an angel is not difficult but tiring since it is quite fast. Black parade and King of Whitewater have some challenging stuff because I play som fast runs on the thickest strings which is much more difficult.
What I've Become is quite challenging too.
Then I must cobfess that I thought it was very difficult to play in pitch on the fretless on Long Way Home, but that is another kind of difficult.

But like many other things it is also a matter of practising. There are some licks in both Unbreakable and Welcome to Mercy Falls that were quite hard to begin with but after playing them on tour for two years they feel ratehr simple, so that too is a factor.

Then it is difficult to say and be fair since Walking Tall is a very simple song, but of course has the bass solo which is tricky to get to sound the way I want it. Does that make the song difficult? No, I guess not...

From a band perspective longer songs are always more difficult and songs with many different moods might also be more difficult to get to sound good live. I think we are quite skilled at that though so I don't really perceive that to be a problem.

Obviously The Great Escape would be the most difficult one since it is so long and there's so much music. It did start to sound ok when rehearsing before the recordings though, so nothing is impossible.

Just a matter of practise!

Wow, Andreas, I've never seen SW live but I would be very disappointed not to see "A Day Away" which is one of my fav songs. :D

There and back
A day away
Tears for a son
Break the silence
Destiny calls
Back in time (duh)

Does that mean you played A New Beginning but not There And Back? I'd have thought it'd be the other way round.

Also :yow: at no Break The Silence. That's possibly my favourite Seventh Wonder song.

Destiny Calls does sound like it'd be one of the most difficult to play.

King of Whitewater

Not sure if this counts as discussing the new album (amazing by the way, can't wait to get the actual CD), but would the band even be able to play this one live since it's got so much orchestration / violin in it?

You could play "when the saints go marchin in" for all I care as long as it took place somewhere in germany which wouldn't involve lenghty travels. I'd really like to see you guys live but I fear that the chances of this happening in the near future are diminishing since apparently no new drummer has been found yet

.......In fact, you guys have so many backups going on, why don't you ever do them live? They make up soooo much of the songs. Like in Hide and Seek at about 6:50 you hear a OOOOHHHH WOHHH HO! That makes up such a great part of the song.

That is the part where we come in!

....I just don't think the band seems to like that tune all that much...

Mmm, I (still) think it's one of the best songs the band has ever recorded. The build up to the chorus (and the chorus itself) is absolutely phenomenal.

Yeah, we get that a lot actually.
I just don't think the band seems to like that tune all that much...

(me personally? I wept the first time I heard the final mix)
let the music play, let it go all the way...

The song is beyond awesomeness.
(As the whole MF album is)

Break the Silence would be sweet live, one of my favourite SW songs :D

I'm on the 'Break the Silence' bandwagon... so much about that song is everything I could ever want in a song.. It's what I call my official 'If the masters (Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mozart, etc.) wrote music today, this is what it'd sound like' song ;)

just to keep on topic... yeah, Break the Silence has to be the best MF song, if not the best Seventh Wonder song... specially the middle bass "soloish" part, it's just amazing, yet beautifuly "simple"... one of the best bass lines I've heard