Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pups?

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
hey guys, i am looking into getting a new guitar. a telecaster, specifically. before, i was going to just get a standard fender MIA tele or something along the lines of that. but i recently went to the local guitar center and checked out the Squier classic vibe tele, and i must say, in my own opinion, it beats any "fender" tele outta this world. i forgot i was playing a "squier". and i figured that with the money i would be saving from buying a Fender named guitar, i can use that to upgrage the bridge pickup. i am really digging the thinline version Sqier has, and i plan to play two primary styles with it: heavier rock/post hardcore (bridge pup for thicker distortion) and ambient/jam (neck pup for cleans).

my point is, who here has some experience playing with or tracking guitars with Hot Rails pups? i would only be getting one, for the bridge, and i would love to hear your testimonies on said pickup!

Didn't track one, but I've played a ritchie kotzen tele and a road worn tele with hot rails from friends and all.

The tone you get is not as sharp, a little rounder, with more output and less noise.

Get it!!!

well as far as the bridge pup goes, im not looking for that real twangy sound, just a sound that can go anywhere from a nice overdrive to a thick crunch. or in a phrase, the tim mctague sound lol. i am definitely leaning towards it more than not!

I had one in my tele and it ruined it.
Muddy obscene output, no clarity. Tele's SHOULD be single coils! or p90s at most!

I'm just the opposite. I have one in my Tele...and I love it! Of course, I put a coil split switch/volume on it, and cut the tone control. Removing the tone control from the path restored the brightness to the sound.

i hear the classic vibe/MIM teles are perfect for modding, so maybe i will look into coil splitting... how much might that cost me? seems like it would be pretty cheap to have it done yourself, yes?

i hear the classic vibe/MIM teles are perfect for modding, so maybe i will look into coil splitting... how much might that cost me? seems like it would be pretty cheap to have it done yourself, yes?

That's what I have, the MIM Tele. And, if you have a soldering iron or know someone that does, it doesn't cost you anything other than the cost of the push/pull volume pot switch. ;) It was a little too dark for me though, until I removed the tone control from the path. It might be worth putting a switch on it too, so you have the option of having it or removing it. But the only time I like using the single coil on mine is for cleans, and I want my cleans to be really bright, so it works out fine for me.