Shechter guitars, opinions?

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Hey,
the shop nearby just got a nice delivery of shechter guitars. i specially liked the ATX solo 7, any opinions on those?

they are fairly cheap, i guess they are made somewhere in indonesia/taiwan/whatever.

how are those compared the high end guitars?

Answer: Jeff Loomis.

But seriously, I don't really dig Schecters from a playing standpoint. They have nice action but the necks give me forearm cramps from having to have my hand all curled up. They're not wide enough for me. They're the most spec'ed out cheap guitars there are, though (seriously, EMGs, TonePros bridge or OFR at $600? That's a fucking deal if I've ever seen one).

I was speaking of the Damien Elite model. I've played that and a C-1 Hellraiser... they were pretty similar. Never played an ATX.

I say, if you dig the playability, it resonates well, and doesn't have any horrible defects, buy one. They're by no means bad guitars, especially when you consider the price tag.

They used to manufacture them in Korea, just like PRS SE, but that was 2 years ago, so it might have changed.
Anyway, good and cheap guitars. Definitely a way to go if you don't want to spend $3K on a guitar.

well i guess the one loomis uses are specially made top quality. not the stock you buy. well i want a kick ass guitar. thought of buying an esp but i want 7 strings.. i can pay 1k for a guitar. or even more. 3k is about too much

I've wanted a Tempest Custom for ages... But I play guitar less and less, I really don't see the point.

I am not sure if Loomis plays a special one, a good friend of mine owns the Loomis sig and it's a great guitar!
If you want a 7 string (and due to that, a longer scale would be great) Schecters are a save bet imho, the
only negative thing I can think about is, that you don't like the playability, but you get that problem with every
guitar you haven't played before :D

have a C1 hellraiser and I love it. Got the 81 and 89 tw which are the ones you can switch to single coil and they sounds real nice. Versatile as...

The Korean manufactured ones are very nice, and I would recommend them unhesitatingly, but the lower end Indonesian made ones are to be avoided.

Great guitars for the new price-range, very hard to beat if you ask me. They are not the best guitars on the planet, and for the price of one new you could pick up a fucking awesome guitar second hand. I paid AU$1400 for my C7 Hellraiser new in 2009, and now I'll be lucky to get $600 for it second-hand. For that $1400, I could have bought just about anything on the second-hand market.

As others have said, avoid any Schecter that doesn't have 'Made in South Korea' on the back of the headstock LIKE THE PLAGUE. I tried out one of the newer, non-korean Hellraisers in store yesterday and it was pitifully bad. They're selling for about 70% of the price of the SK-made models, but holy shit the drop in quality is huge.

Both of the Schecters (listed in my sig) I just bought resonate amazingly, actually, I was seriously impressed after all I'd read on here! Love 'em, though I can only afford to keep one (hint, hint to all ;))

EDIT: Also, FWIW, the Scorpion is from '02-'03, and the Blackjack from '07-'08; maybe the build quality has gotten worse in recent years? (I know that seems to be a pretty widely-held belief about ESP LTD, for example)

Yeah my C1 Hellraiser is fucking amazing....but it is from 06 IIRC...and yes I think the quality has drifted in the recent years as Marcus says.

They have excelent 7-strings, as in... they have a 26,5 neck and no stupid floating bridge.

But i'm hesitant if'd buy another 6-string from them, better options out there