Short little acoustic guitar clip (Yamaha LS6, SM81)

ParsonsMatt

Alas, Tyranny
Nov 15, 2006
Athens, GA
www.myspace.com
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1161830/acoustic guitar song.mp3

Please excuse the sloppy lead playing... Was improvised in a few takes. At some point I'll actually write a melody instead of making one up and extend it with vocals and other instrumentation.

Thoughts?

Guitar is a Yamaha LS6 with Elixir 13-56 Phosphor Bronze nanowebs. Mic is a Shure SM81 pointed at the soundhole, about 6" off. Some light reverb, compression, EQ for the guitar effects and some tape simulation to glue it all together.

Pics:

Photo102.jpg

Photo099.jpg

Photo104.jpg

^ Agreed. Not bad, but reducing that boominess would really help. Keep moving that mic around until you find a spot that has a more pleasing frequency balance.

Thanks! I'll mess with placement some more. Any tips for dual micing?

For EQ, all I did was bump the highs with a shelf and hipass at around 100Hz. Interesting to hear that its boomy... I need a sub :\

Interesting to hear that its boomy... I need a sub

More like the 100-300hz region boominess. and if you can't use a sub atm, get a pair of headphones that have a lot of low end, like Sennheiser HD25's. and oh yeah, atleast it bothers me; in the beginning where the acoustic guitar is hard panned to the right (not 100%, but almost)

Thanks! I'll mess with placement some more. Any tips for dual micing?

put the mic on input monitoring and feed it to headphones, then ask someone to move the microphone(s) around and when it sounds good, put it there on a stand

as said, theres some boom going on, but that should be able to be fixed with eq or different mik positioning ( I like Acoustic guitars more at about 24th fret)

the song is really nice!