Should I buy...

Katau

Supreme Master of Nothing
Sep 10, 2007
Chicagoland
My goal is to get a smoother and tighter sound that isn't so fizzy or harsh when recording/mixing.

I'm headed to the music store today to pick up either an overdrive pedal or another 57 to double mic. My dilema is that I've never used an overdrive pedal before and am concerned that it will just mud-up my mix.

I'm currently running a 5150 Combo with JJ's and a Mesa Single Rect thru a custom oversized 2x12 with v30s.

Thoughts?

Dude, an overdrive will do the exact opposite of muddying up your mix. Using more that one mic on a speaker/cab is something that might yield great results if you really know what you're doing, but if you don't you will run into all kinds of problem. Phasing issues and definitely mud. Go for he overdrive first and read the excellent Tubescreamer faq by JBroll. It's stickied in the producion tips section of this forum.

Pick yourself up an Ibanez TS7, should find that your guitars will sound much tighter and more defined, just keep the gain pretty low and leave the level and tone at 12 o clock.

Yep, the TS7 stomps ass, run the drive at 8:30, tone at 11:30, and level between 11:00 and 12:00 (depending how much gain you want), and you'll be golden!

Yep, the TS7 stomps ass, run the drive at 8:30, tone at 11:30, and level between 11:00 and 12:00 (depending how much gain you want), and you'll be golden!

I usually don't even drive it that hard... I'd rather raise the level while staying decidedly low on the "drive".

Yeah, that thing can do wonders to tighten up many amps. My Engl doesn't really need it on the other hand if I stay away from the "deep" switch.

I saw a used TS7 for 30 bucks. Is that the normal price? Never tried using one before but if it's that cheap I might as well try it out. Seems weird to hook a $30 pedal to a $3000 amp though.

I saw a used TS7 for 30 bucks. Is that the normal price? Never tried using one before but if it's that cheap I might as well try it out. Seems weird to hook a $30 pedal to a $3000 amp though.

its very simplistic components that alter the guitars signal going into the amp. Its because of their simple design that allows them to be cheap.

Still a brand new TS9 will set you back about $180

its very simplistic components that alter the guitars signal going into the amp. Its because of their simple design that allows them to be cheap.

Still a brand new TS9 will set you back about $180

+1 to the first part, but $180 for a TS9? o_O Where are you looking?

And Butcher, the TS7 is normally $40 new, so yeah, it's cheap but identical to the old standard TS9! (check out JBroll's Tube Screamer FAQ stickied in the production tips subforum) - I'd imagine it'd really help your Uberschall, I've heard they're really bassy.

Oh, I've had lots of time to mess around with an Überschall a few weeks ago. I just loved it with a TS in front! Sadly, I'm not having clips floating around right now.

Cool, thanks. I'll pick one up next paycheck and see what does to the Uber. Which I already think sounds amazing....yes it can be bassy if you turn the bass anywhere above about 1 o'clock.

Ooooooo...me likey! Just received it today. Gives the sound a little extra growl and smooths things out.

THANKS AGAIN!!!