Should I edit my guitar tracks...

Be warned though; I tried editing guitars a couple of days ago and it narrows down the stereo width of double tracked guitars by a significant amount. I don't actually need to edit my guitars though, they're mostly tight enough but I tried it just for fun and I didn't really fall in love with the result so to speak. But then again, I chopped up almost every note and moved it pretty tight to the grid, maybe you will only be moving sections instead of note by note. If you plan on doing note by note, be prepared for some weird sounding guitars. They can still sound good, like without artifacts and stuff but you will probably reduce the stereo width.

Yeah, you play tight enough that you get phase cancellation, you don't need editing :p You're like MJ on guitar. :lol:

I suck at editing (or just can't make it sound natural), so it makes me have to play parts over and over again 'till I get it right. Win/win I guess, but time consuming.

even with really tight editing, you shouldn't gett much phase cancelation. it happens to maybe one or two notes every ALBUM. just punch in another one when it happens. and don't edit to the point where every single note is perfectly sampled matched down to sample level. just use a decent zoom range so that 10 - 20 ms distance looks pretty much right next to each other. that way most of your edits will be at least 2-4 ms off.

even with really tight editing, you shouldn't gett much phase cancelation. it happens to maybe one or two notes every ALBUM. just punch in another one when it happens. and don't edit to the point where every single note is perfectly sampled matched down to sample level. just use a decent zoom range so that 10 - 20 ms distance looks pretty much right next to each other. that way most of your edits will be at least 2-4 ms off.

Yeah, this. I was pretty zoomed in while test editing and wouldn't recommend that. Or if you are zoomed in, displace the notes on purpose so they're not spot on on the grid.

As far as time stretching goes, that's probably good but I think I still prefer slip editing the guitars when it's possible. If you slip it too far then it's gonna be obvious so stretching would most likely be useful there instead.

I'd edit it either way haha.
If you want to be able to play the song live perfectly, then learn how to play it perfectly.
But if you only want to track it down and make an awesome tight sounding song then you really don't need to.

Well I think I'll stick with editing then for this, its going to be a CD only project, and it should sound pretty good :D Thanks for the replies dudes :kickass:

If anything, while being for it, I'm also interested in the process. You should keep those of us who don't mind this kind of thing updated with how it's going.

If anything, while being for it, I'm also interested in the process. You should keep those of us who don't mind this kind of thing updated with how it's going.

Sure dude, I'll be starting work on tracking guitars in a few days, I just need to perfect a few last tabs :D

I've been writing a lot of music for a instrumental heavy album, but the speed of some of the rhythm guitar goes beyond what I can play. So I'm planning to heavily edit the guitars and bass. My question is - do you think it matters if I edit the songs so they will be super tight and perfect?

My only problem with editing is that If I edit my tracks, I wouldn't be able to actually pull of playing the songs in front of people... Does this matter?

I mean if it sounds good, it is good, and they won't ever be used for playing live, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has done this, or if you stick with what your able to play?

due to "physical" restriction on my playing I do a lot of editing. I have carpel in a horrible way (fucking ibanez wizard necks ..lol). So it takes alot of editing to get my parts really tight.

Live is a different story. I dont play my original stuff live anymore, I just do it for the love of music.

I say do what makes you comfortable!

due to "physical" restriction on my playing I do a lot of editing. I have carpel in a horrible way (fucking ibanez wizard necks ..lol). So it takes alot of editing to get my parts really tight.

Live is a different story. I dont play my original stuff live anymore, I just do it for the love of music.

I say do what makes you comfortable!

That fucking sucks dude about the carpel tunnel, I've got RSI strains, so I don't get to play no where near as much as I want to, and when I get to play I like to play, not practise :lol:

That fucking sucks dude about the carpel tunnel, I've got RSI strains, so I don't get to play no where near as much as I want to, and when I get to play I like to play, not practise :lol:

same here - had tendonitis a year ago - overuse at work/pc/guitar, rested for 8-9 months and used the handmaster plus to get strength back - everythings great now

funny thing is, i can pull off stuff much easier now with less practice -
like the Yngwie solo i did on my soundclick page - check it here
that would have took me months to play before i got the rsi - go figure????

That shit sucks some major balls :( I've had similar problems for 6 months where I couldn't play the drums AT ALL. Not even air drumming.

Damn that sucks man, I also had to stop playing for about a year, then it was nearly another 5 months before I could start playing again.

I think you should edit it just until you start to think you are cheating.

You know, it's always a question we all ask to ourself : when do I start to cheat when I edit my takes ? But in the end, the answer is quite obvious : you know when you have gone too far (when supposed you have a musical ethic, of course).

If you don't plan to play it live, you have some freedom.

Don't know if you've mentioned this, but what DAW are you using, muckypup1?

I'm using Reaper, I'd rather use Pro Tools but I can't :D

I'm using all the chopping and editing tricks, and recording sections note by note, and slicing sections together, I'm not going to play any of this shit live, and I think that if it sounds good, it is good!

I'm using Reaper, I'd rather use Pro Tools but I can't :D

I'm using all the chopping and editing tricks, and recording sections note by note, and slicing sections together, I'm not going to play any of this shit live, and I think that if it sounds good, it is good!

i agree, that's all how major label bands are doing it anyway.

edit: also, be careful with reapers time stretch quantizing, i get alot of artifacts. it definitely doesn't sound as good as EA in protools. but you should still be able to get top notch results just from crossfade/slipping.