Should I get a guitar or not? or Why do YOU play guitar?

Death225

New Metal Member
Apr 23, 2006
I'm really having trouble with the decision to get a guitar and learn to play again or not. I'm 31 yrs. old. I originally played guitar for hours a day on a daily basis from the time I was 14-19. At the end of my five years I was to the point where I could play a good number of songs perfectly, all the way through, and was no longer embarassed or afraid to play in front of strangers because I knew I was at least "ok".

Around the 4 yr. mark I hit a plateau. For the next year it didn't seem like I could progress any further in any areas. I was just stuck and couldn't seem to make the jump to that next level of skill that many people I knew were at. So after a year of that I got a bit discouraged and started not playing as much.

Then what happened was I would pick up the axe now and again to play, and I wasn't nearly as good as I knew I 'could be' or 'used to be' because I no longer played daily and it went to maybe once or twice a week. So I'd get really mad and frustrated when I'd go to pick it up because I'd have a harder time than I used to with things, be slower, not as comfortable, and start messing up stuff I knew I could play perfectly at one point. That made me not want to pick it up even once a week.

I got broke and sold my axe and my amp to pay bills.

It's been 15 years since I've played now. I've talked about wanting to play again ever since I sold it, but having been there and done it before, I know the kind of dedication and hours it takes to get really good. And I know I won't be happy unless I'm really good. And I can't come to an honest decision as to if I have the dedication and the time I know it's going to take to stick with it.

I guess in my mind, to make the decision, I have to decide if there's a point. It's fun, but if no one was ever going to hear you play, would you bother? I'd like to be in a band, but that's kinda far fetched for me. I know I'll never be a famous musician or anything like that...

So I think about what it would be like to get an axe, spend the time, and get going again, and find myself imagining that I can play just as good as ever. At that point all I can think of is... so what? What's the point? If I'm not going to have a band and make music I like... I donno, I'm also undecided as to if this kind of time investment is even a wise thing to do at this point in my life. ARGH! Don't you think something like wanting to play a guitar would be an easy yes or no thing? LOL How sad...

I feel so torn... :cry:

How about playing just for the sheer enjoyment of it? That's what I do. Nobody else might even hear my demos, but I still write and record my playing as a hobby.

Hell, it keeps me off drugs! :kickass:

Death225 said:
I guess in my mind, to make the decision, I have to decide if there's a point. It's fun, but if no one was ever going to hear you play, would you bother? I'd like to be in a band, but that's kinda far fetched for me. I know I'll never be a famous musician or anything like that...I feel so torn... :cry:

If you really love it then who cares what other ppl think. And you could be in a band if you wanted to. I am 26 and I just recently started learning the bass I haven't been playing very much ...I'll like to be in band eventually. Don't feel bad dude you'll figure out what you want to do! :)

Frozen Stormrider said:
to get laid.

Does that work for you? :loco:

Go for it. From my experience playing in bands and getting to know a lot of local musicians, the confidence of playing at your own comfort level will far outweigh the benefits of greater technical ability. That's not to say that you shouldn't try to build on what you already know, but don't stop playing because you feel you can't overcome the "better" hurdle. The best musicians I know are those who have developed a personal style that they're comfortable and confident with. And don't worry about the age factor if that's a concern. My band has members ranging from 21 to 34 and it hasn't been an issue.

That may be part of my problem too. I always wanted to see myself end up being as good as Vai or something. I always expected myself to continually get better and better as long as I kept playing. I saw no noticeable progress for a year+ and since my expectation was no longer being met (I had gotten better over time until then) I felt discouraged.

get a guitar, but get one that you can actually play, you dont have to pay alot for a playable guitar, just DO NOT get a squire.

Death225 said:
That may be part of my problem too. I always wanted to see myself end up being as good as Vai or something. I always expected myself to continually get better and better as long as I kept playing. I saw no noticeable progress for a year+ and since my expectation was no longer being met (I had gotten better over time until then) I felt discouraged.

But, if you don't get back into it, you'll never know, will you?

Remember, if you find yourself at a plateau, take lessons. It may be the shot in the arm you need.

Death, you're telling my fucking story again. I too started playing when I was 14 until about 20 (I was even playing some gigs here and there with a few bands) and then put it down because I was too much of a fucking criminal. Every time I tried picking it up again, I just didn't have that passion anymore. Well, I finally broke down and bought one (a cheap Dime Dean) and started messing around with it again about a year ago (I'm 30 now). Of course, I don't have the passion I had when I was a kid but I still pick it up every now and then and have a blast.

Though, if I were you, I'd try out the drums. I got a drum set awhile ago and just playing a different instrument has kind of got me more interested. Though, I still don't think nothing will come of it - unless I were to meet some really motivated headbangers/punks to inspire me enough to get me off my ass and really work on my stamina.

My problem is; the older I get, the lazier I get.

I play guitar because I love music a whole lot, but i play bass/drums/guitar so...