Show me your best non-sampled/replaced kick

All natural kit. Absolutely no replacement/augmentation.

This whole EP was done with the idea that there would be no pitch correction, TCE, sample replacement/augmentation, or performance-altering editing.

http://thefiresofautumn.bandcamp.com/

Now those are some tight-ass vocal harmonies and doubling. You don't hear that much these days without having a shitload of Melodyne or AutoTune and a dose of Vocalign to boot! You can tell the vocals are very natural, which I love.

Last edited by a moderator:
:worship: Daunt! Several month back I run on on announcement for Torture Killer EP and just melted from that awesomeness!
Sound is F-ING perfect!

Here's an all-natural kit for heavy music - no samples of any kind. Usually I'll use homemade samples for kicks on heavy stuff, but for this project we wanted something more raw. It still had to be big and defined though.

It takes a great drummer to pull off heavy music without samples, but it can be done. A well-tuned kick drum and a well set-up kick pedal do wonders as well. This particular kick is a Shure Beta 91 and a Yamaha Subkick into a Vintech Dual 72.

Man, that's sounds great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great sounding kicks! I am in the same boat of at least trying to go all natural.

My favs had a Yamaha Subkick. I have a Beta 52 and a an Audix D6. Hard to get sounds like that. May pick up a Beta 91A.

So what other things do you do?

Do you shoot for a good sounding kick in the room (muffled, etc.)? Or for a really clicky kick (ie. tight head, front head off, etc.)? Tuned low, tuned high?

How do you control bleed under heavy compression and EQing?

My all-time favorite kick mic combo is the Senn E901 and E902. It's INSANELY easy to get the kick to sound great. Even a shit kit with old heads can be usable...and it sounds, to me, like a kick should sound. Not a fan of the Beta52 or D112, but I do like the D6 a lot, and the Yamaha Subkick (or any good home-made subkick) is pretty sweet. With the 901/902 combo, that's all I really need.