Shure SM7 ...YES!!

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
I have a Neuman TLM103 i've allways done vocals with....however, alot of people at gearslutz.com raves about the SM7 (not SM57) as a vocal mic, so I went and got one and wow, it sounds alot better on "screaming" vocals...when the singer would "scream" and "growl" it just sounded like he was better at doing what he does, not just using a better mic....totally awsome....

I run it with an API preamp and a Distressor and I guess I've got a new favourite vocal mic for agressive vocals....

It does seem to be the current favorite for screaming vocals for a lot of people. Sounds like a nice chain you've got going there. 500 series preamp or 200?

i like dynamic mics capturing growls and screams. last time i used the sm7 the recording got a bit noisy as it was with an avalon tube preamp. The mic has a very low output so i had to push the preamp very hard. i actually remember asking here if it was normal such a low output

API's sound better the harder you drive them.....that's why many thinks it the best choice for SM7 ;)

blackcom said:
API's sound better the harder you drive them.....that's why many thinks it the best choice for SM7 ;)

i totally agree...i love the api stuff and i've been an sm7 user for years. great mic for screamin for sure...but just a great vocal mic overall. my only complaint is that its so low output that it can become noisey...but i dont usually notice it in the mix.

I have a new secret weapon for dynamic vocal mics. When it arrives I'll share.

I have an SM7 and I love it. It really works great on almost all types of vocals. I tracked my last project through my Great River and I am really happy with the results.

Is the SM7 the one you see Hetfield using througout the "Some Kind Of Monster" documentary?

~006

Matt Smith said:
But don't judge the mic based on that. :p

Hahaha...

Also, if I am not mistaken Andy said that was the one mic he could not live without.

I'm not judging based on that, just wondering if that was the same one. :)

~006

The sm7 is up there with the 57 in terms of flexability - you can use it on anything and it will bring out a character in the signal that no other mic does - it is simply the best mic I've used with aggressive vocals, a large dynamic mic that gives you almost perfect rear cancellation allowing the vocalist to be up close and personal in the control room or even in the live room. If you have a low husky voice like me (hey ladies!) it fucking rocks - i have also used an akg d112 on my voice and the result was stunning. With the sm7 and sm57 shure have two great mics - its no wonder producer like Rick Ruben, Bob Cock, and Mr richardson use them - even fucking linkin park use em - all that and its only £300 smackers!

That and a neve and your sorted

its shit on acoustic guitars though :)

Try it as a room mic about 3 feet from the kick drum (depending on the height of your cymbals this may need to be further away) angled straight at the skin - instant tommy lee style thunder when - limited to death with a fairchild plug - or if your lucky and I have been use a real one. Good shit for power sections even if like a sub thump its only every now and then and felt not heard.

I used the SM7 for Mike Kameron's vocals for both DAATH sessions that will comprise their Roadrunner debut, due out early next year.