sick of it

ucsbdude

Stargate Addict
Apr 3, 2003
Stargate Command
Visit site
For those who care, I'm just getting a little tire on the "Deliverance" bashing :erk: . The album is top notch ans kicks serious ass I can't go a day without hearing one of the songs. This album wiped the floor with half the crap of music out there last year. I listen to Orchid and Delieverance and I see no real significant difference. BWP was the only album that was a little weak for me. I had to vent my frustration on this matter...ok felling a little better.....

I personally love the album and can't really see why some people don't like it. I know that most of the people on this board love it though, but if people want to voice their opinion an give justified reasons why they don't like it I guess that's fair enough

its not that i dont like it, i just think its one of their weakest efforts. its leaning more towards normal death metal then opeth metal. it lacks the originallity that the other albums have i think.

orchid is my favourite at the moment.

ChrisEmerson said:
its not that i dont like it, i just think its one of their weakest efforts. its leaning more towards normal death metal then opeth metal. it lacks the originallity that the other albums have i think.

orchid is my favourite at the moment.

yea ill drink to that, some songs are lil dragged out and weird like Weath and by the pain i see in others.

Orchid is one my top 2 from them as well, i asked Mikael why they dont play any of that stuff live, he's like "well the audience always was sleepy or didnt seem intrested when we played that stuff, so yea" lol

Morningrise is in my opinion their best album. Unlike Orchid, even though it has an average track length of 13 minutes, it never gets repetitive or monotonous. Of course I can't speak for others though. Orchid seems at points like they're just playing the same song over again with different lyrics. And the lyrics are really silly and make no sense. I'm really liking the direction they're going in right now though... I just wish Damnation was longer... 70 minutes of that would be incredible.

FourDegreesWarmer1331 said:
Morningrise is in my opinion their best album. Unlike Orchid, even though it has an average track length of 13 minutes, it never gets repetitive or monotonous. Of course I can't speak for others though. Orchid seems at points like they're just playing the same song over again with different lyrics. And the lyrics are really silly and make no sense. I'm really liking the direction they're going in right now though... I just wish Damnation was longer... 70 minutes of that would be incredible.

Point well taken :)

It's a fucking top notch metal album.. but Opeth could have done better.. i dont bash it though.. wreath is one of my favorite Opeth songs.. I don't see how you think it's similar at all to Orchid though.. wayyy different styles

Scourge of Malice said:
It's a fucking top notch metal album.. but Opeth could have done better.. i dont bash it though.. wreath is one of my favorite Opeth songs.. I don't see how you think it's similar at all to Orchid though.. wayyy different styles

Well some of the guitar effects have always sounded the same to me. I guess its like the "Opeth sound" for me. Anyways, thanks for not bashing it :D

Maybe you meant similar as in 'similar quality?'

Anyways...just happen to have been listening to Deliverance lately...its an excellent album IMO. Not better then Orchid though...Orchid is prolly my fav Opeth album.

I think "By the pain I see in others" is the worst Opeth-song ever. It does not have any flow, it jsut confirms the prejudices some people have against Opeth: Just some decent riffs put together without any coherence. In general, I don't like Deliverance very much. It's totally concentrated on standard Metal sound and riffing, just for those ho prefer Headbang-music instead of something complex and fascinating. I miss the deep melancholy and the wonderful melodies, creative complex riffs and the great flow of song structures. Then, the sound does not please me. The guitars don's sound like before, just weam and standard-like, the growls are too harsh (ever listened to the album with headphonez? :loco:) and the clean vocals too simple. In the little amount of acoustic passages, the acoustic guitars are too much in the background and don't sound as pleasant as in former times. There are some nice parts on the album though, but they can't convince me. There's not enough inspiration, fascination and love put into it I think. This is my opinion about Deliverance, but as I have noticed I am alone with this.​

Reactions: Lina
Yeah, its just something different that I'm completely cool with. You can't say with a straight face that Morningrise flows better then Deliverance though...:erk:

I can. I think, i.e. "Black Rose Immortal" has a perfect flow, I just can't sit still listening to that song, it fascinates me from the first minute to the last. The riffs, solos and acoustic parts are wonderfully arranged and go hand in hand with each other. It's just closing your eyz and enjoying it. You never fall apart with the structure, it just flows like a deep clear river of tears in the land of your most melancholic dreams (oh, what a comparison!)... And with deliverance, I can feel nothing like that, not at any song or part of the album.

BTW, how can I change my name here? I have to get rid of this shitty "as TIOBS", Domson or even Doomson standing alone looks and sounds much better...

Deliverance was definatly not a disappointment, really kickass album, i think it was better than blackwater park, not htat bwp sucked, not at all, but in comparison to the rest of opeths protfolio it would have to be the least kickass album...i stick with morningrise as their best.

Btw , Deliverance has a really death atmosphere , i don't think it's headbang music . It's complex and fascinating . I see what you are tlking about for the wonderful melodies missing and that's true the album is far harder .
I'm happy the guitars , drums and vocal sounds are different than before . Otherwise it would have been a shame for an Opeth album being the same compared to another.
'There's not enough inspiration, fascination and love put into it I think.' :
There is inspiration because it doesn't sound as before and they worked really hard , you know .
Love hmm , this album is really hard to get into ( i don't mean i'm able to do that ) , and it is so dark .. So love , definitly not . But I think Opeth creates the music they love .

Though , I recognise my judgement is biased @ 5000% because Opeth is one of my three favorite bands ( including Devin Townsend and Emperor ) .

The only advice I can give is to stop to listen to it for a certain time . Then , play it on repeat . It worked for me , but i guess u tried it all :p

Np : Obtained Enslavement - Soulblight <- Really Awesome

Yes, I tried that already. It's normal, cause I do no more listen to that album quite often, probably not even once in a month. When I then listen to it, sometimes it's quite okay but still it does not take me afar into realms of death and redemption as the former albums did. BTW, I don't consider it being that dark, IMO even the Blackwater Park title song was darker.
BTW, Opeth was my favourite band before, too, and if I don't consider the new two albums, they are still. No other band could fascinate me in a similar intensive way like Opeth did with their first five albums.

Domson as TIOBS said:
Yes, I tried that already. It's normal, cause I do no more listen to that album quite often, probably not even once in a month. When I then listen to it, sometimes it's quite okay but still it does not take me afar into realms of death and redemption as the former albums did. BTW, I don't consider it being that dark, IMO even the Blackwater Park title song was darker.
BTW, Opeth was my favourite band before, too, and if I don't consider the new two albums, they are still. No other band could fascinate me in a similar intensive way like Opeth did with their first five albums.

Yes BWP the song is very dark . I'm listening to it :lol: