sick of it

i personally like everything they have done, i think Orchid is there best IMO..then all the other rank 2nd..i cant really pick out a 2nd 3rd...etc. but im thinking Still Life mayb crawling up the list for sole possession of 2nd

Domson as TIOBS said:
I can. I think, i.e. "Black Rose Immortal" has a perfect flow, I just can't sit still listening to that song, it fascinates me from the first minute to the last. The riffs, solos and acoustic parts are wonderfully arranged and go hand in hand with each other. It's just closing your eyz and enjoying it. You never fall apart with the structure, it just flows like a deep clear river of tears in the land of your most melancholic dreams (oh, what a comparison!)... And with deliverance, I can feel nothing like that, not at any song or part of the album.

BTW, how can I change my name here? I have to get rid of this shitty "as TIOBS", Domson or even Doomson standing alone looks and sounds much better...

Man...to be perfectly frank, the ONLY reason you think that is because you KNOW the song. You have listened to it often, you understand all the seperate parts and know how to envision them as 'flowing' together, because as you listen, you know what to expect. Its the same with me, I can listen to BRI, close my eyes and simpy whistle along to the whole song. Does that mean it actually flows? NO. It just means that since I know that song so well, I know what to expect, I know what will come after this riff, this acoustic part...etc.

I think that BRI is HEAPS more muddled then ANY of the songs on Deliverance. When I first listen to BRI I was like: 'holy shit, i'm completely lost, whats going on in this song!?'. When I first heard Deliverance it was more like: 'Whoa, cool sounding, yes that bit sounds like it should have come after that bit, ahh, moving along nicely with this structure here'.

Morningrise is muddled as hell...it just doesn't feel that way anymore because I, like you, know the album so well. This has nothing to do with the quality of the music, I like Morningrise a little bit better then Deliverance, but Morningrise only seems like it flows because of how much I've listened to it. Deliverance is much more structured, and that could be a bad thing y'know...depends on how you look at it, less spantaneous perhaps and a bit more clinical in nature. Part of the joy of Morningrise was learning all the seperate bits and trying to piece them together into an enjoyable listening experience...took me quite a while to latch onto it. Deliverance is much more immediate, and I think that is one reason that people 'diss' it alot...it doesn't challenge you so much and makes itself easier to listen to with its clearer structuring.

Yeah, you're right there, the more simple structures come along with one part of the lack of fascination I see in that album, but there's still enough other points to mention. As I said before, the melodies don't really address me, I don't "feel" them, they are not very interesting to me. And believe me, I have listened to that album quite often. I am lucky to get into something very fast, that means when I have heard an album 2-3 times I already know it by heart nearly. That's the same with Deliverance.
But still I am of the opinion that BRI is very well arranged, there's no place in the song that really throws you out of the structure. Of course you have to listen to such a complex song several times in order to get used to it, that's normal cause Opeth generally don't play too simple-structured music. But if you listen to "By the Pain I See In Others"... there's one riff played, then it suddenly stops and something completely different begins. Especially the first minutes of the song are like that, and this just sounds absolutely fucked up and it makes me wanna puke my entrails. Sorry, but I really hate that song. The only good part of it is in the aggressive ending ("Silently whispering, move in me and set me free"), this is really cool, but the rest of the song just leaves me completely empty. In the meantime I just stop the album after "Master's Apprentices".
But I can say as much as I want, I will keep being the only one here who looks at Deliverance from such a critical point of view. But this does not mean that I am going to change my opinion, cause I just don't like it too much and that's a fact I cannot change. I have decided not to buy any future Opeth albums before having listened to one or two songs out of them...

I'd have to disagree...i like the complex structures of Opeth's older stuff.
I really don't want to bash it, but i find Deliverance kinda boring at times, but that's only in comparison to all of Opeth's other music. It's still one of my favourite albums, as with any Opeth album (well...maybe not Damnation, but lets save that for another thread ey?).