Sidechaining a Stereo group triggering it from a mono source

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Is there any way to do this ?

I have this song where the acoustic guitar attack is right there when the snare hits and I really dont want to automate EVERY acoustic guitar hit on a 5min song. I want to diminish the acoustic guitar group (stereo) volume when the snare hits. Is there any way to do this besides triggering the L side and the R side one by one and then re-grouping everything ?

Just found a couple plugins that maybe do this. I'll try when I get to the studio later this evening and I'll report back

Just found THIS :

1. Download the Stereo Side Chain Compressor from Slim Slow Slider and install it. It is free and available here: http://www.ismusic.ne.jp/slim_slow_slider/vst/#sidech

2. Open up Cubase SX3 and create a new project.

3. Decide what you want to side chain (pad, bass etc.). Whatever you choose to side chain, it needs to be a channel with a stereo output in the end.

4. Now you need a channel with a short bass/kick drum that will serve as a trigger signal.

5. Create a group channel (configuration: "quadro") and select “SideChCompSt” as an insert-effect.

6. Go to the channel which you want to side chain and route it to the group channel (Group 1) you created.

7. Now go to the mixer section of this channel and you will see a square in the panning section. Double click it and the SourroundPan will open automatically.

8. Make sure “Y-Mirror” is selected (not “Mono Mix”). Take the grey bullet and move it to the upper right corner.

9. Go to your trigger channel (bass/kick drum channel) and open up the mixer section. Turn the volume of the channel all the way down. Select “Group 1” as a send-effect. Activate the send-effect. Turn the volume of the send-effect all the way up. Activate the pre-fader (the button should be orange now). Right above there is a field where you can choose two different modes: “Normal” and “Routing”. Select “Routing”.

10. Now you should see a square in the send-effect field. Double click it and the “SourroundPan” will open automatically.

11. Make sure “Y-Mirror” is selected (not “Mono Mix”). Take the grey bullet and move it to the bottom right corner.

12. That`s it, enjoy!!!

Source : http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124995