*Sigh* lyrics.

Joel4662

Jul 23, 2010
Songwriting thread. I fancy myself a good music writer. I know my keys/scales/chords and am pretty decently fluent with "rock" instruments.

I do NOT, however, fancy myself a poet (nor do my bandmates)
It didn't matter back when I was doing mindless metalcore with occasional little singing choruses but me and my buddy are crossing into the world of singing (like PTV and ADTR, stayin heavy with it) so the lyrics actually matter. And for me they can generally make or break a song (reason I despise rap music -.-)

I would like to know if anyone can fill me in on the business of possibly buying lyrics (if that's even legal) ooorr give me like super tips on writing until I have some sort of breakthrough.

Here is a (unmixed, barely edited) sample of what kind of music I'm dealing with just for reference.

http://db.tt/EwTleSeJ

olif8 said:
No, if you have nothing to say, don't say anything.

Um that's vague.
I have to have lyrics. And I know what I even want them to be about I'm just not poetic.

I have stuff to say I just don't know how to say it -.-

Edit: don't get me wrong, it'd be amazing if it was acceptable in the music industry to have no words. But I want people to like my songs and I like to sing and play guitar so I just kinda need help with the one hard part of songwriting for me.

Rappers and pop artist buy music and lyrics from people all the time. Anyone that's smart about it will sell you leasing rights to their material so keep that in mind. If I was to go this route I'd look for a person that isnt well known and offer them a writers credit on the album before offering any money. Just make sure they sign an agreement that says you have the rights to use their lyrics and you should be fine.

Joey.coldweather said:
Rappers and pop artist buy music and lyrics from people all the time. Anyone that's smart about it will sell you leasing rights to their material so keep that in mind. If I was to go this route I'd look for a person that isnt well known and offer them a writers credit on the album before offering any money. Just make sure they sign an agreement that says you have the rights to use their lyrics and you should be fine.

Do you know where I could find this kind of person? Or do you just kinda have to find them?

Personally I wouldn't look for the people that do this for a living. Most of them are ghost writers and hiring a ghost is expensive. I'd just ask friends if they know any poets and talk with them.

If I understand you correctly, you know what you want to write about but just don't know how to put it into words?

If that's the case, I'd say read more lyrics, books and study a bit of English (like the subject in high school, not the language).

Personally, I'm no lyricist. When it comes to death metal/core stuff I still find it hard. thesaurus.com is your friend.