Similar Bands

Yea I was thinking the same thing, its amazing how well he plays. His accuracy is amazing, and he "shreds" like a mother.. Hah. I'm loving this kid. His pictures in black and white looks like Macauly Caulkin. Too good...

Am I the only one who thinks that the style in Kalmah, Wintersun, and Skyfire is not anything like COB? Same type of metal perhaps, but totally different styles of playing. Come on.. Jari and Alexi? Pfft... Totally different. Maybe I'm just crazy, I don't really hear COB in alot of these bands, sure neoclassical riffs here, or just the attitude of COB (Yes Imperanon and some bands have vocals similar to Alexi.. But are they really that original? Besides me thinking they're awesome and the yaows are cool it's not such a big deal). Other than that most bands have more generic rhythm and perhaps some crazy leads or are solo driven. So I dunno.. Maybe it's jsut me like I said.

I like Kalmah and Imperanonm but I can understand why people call them Children Of Bodom rip offs, Imperanon more so than Kalmah. As for Wintersun, I think they kick ass and I dont think they're a Bodom rip off at all. They have the same kind of style that as Children of Bodom but they still sound original, to me at least.

Jari>Alexi, in every technical and song writing aspect. Just my opinion. However, Jari is completely different.

jaris guitar tone makes his solos seem much smoother and u can hear every note perfectly, while alexi seems to have a lot of distortion and treble so it doesnt sound as good. i dont know who is better than who but they are both insane song writers for sure.

I just discovered a similar band which named Nothgard especially in their latest album : The sinner's Sake

All these bands, even Kalmah, Norther, Ensiferum and Wintersun, can't stand the heat when compared to COB. They didn't produce enough original material that was good, and had too much filler material. There's a reason why one of them excelled and others didn't. They're nice bands and all of them have great bits to them, but they don't sound dark enough and their records had too much crap in them. They're epic and satisfying warm-up bands for the true bands. And I won't even start with the aspiring new bands. With COB you can honestly hear there's wild creativity and richness of brutally honest material, they weren't born to play around, but to actually make great records. Having a few cool songs just isn't enough.

Of course, you'd think if absolutely shit bands like Megadeth became successful, why didn't they. Maybe it's because of producing original material. It's strange, but a trained ear can sense when a band isn't a source of dark art, but rather a lover of dark art that mimics others and maybe puts in a style of their own. The aspiring new bands however are just fans of real bands, trying desperately to come up with one cool melody or riff. It's cool to praise and love Kalmah, Norther, Ensiferum and Wintersun, but placing them above COB is a bit much.

Last edited:
I don't think they deserve to be mocked as copying COB, they have quite a distinct style. Nice keyboard solos! It's just... something's missing, despite all the effort. If only they improved the flow of song material it would be better. Also to decide what is the big riff and the big melody of this song.