Since what year have you been a fan?

Since what year have you been a fan?

• Total voters
2003: I knew Syx because of their tour with Statovarius. In Summer of '03 I found "The Oddyssey" an was blown away. Soon after this one, all the other albums followed and the rest is history...

Around '98 or '99, can't say for sure. I had been recently hooked up on Rhapsody and Dream Theater by a friend, and I asked him for something more like that. He lent me TDWOT, but I soon returned it for some reason. Eventually, the rhythm of Pharaoh kept beating in my head (it might have helped being a drummer, who knowns) and borrowed it once more. The rest is history...

btw, can ya recommend some band like SymphX, something like that? ;)

96-97 i heard the Damnation Game for the first time....didn't hate it but i didn't rate it. Then i heard DWOT a few months/year later...same story. I liked the guitar a lot but the songs didn't do it for me. After that my friend/other guitarist in my band would play me the new stuff when it came out....i'd hear a song or two, borrow the cd for a few weeks but never got hooked.....i bought Star One-Space Metal when it came out and really was blown away by Russell. Then i got Odyssey a little bit later and that was the clincher.....bought all the back catalogue and realised that SyX were awesome.

2002 at school. The head of our computer lab was a big prog fan, and I remember he had "The Accolade II" and "The Turning" playing. I just loved how both beautifully epic and heavy it sounded. I heard how awesome Divine Wings was, so I got that one first. It's been love ever since.

Progbass said:
Maybe they didn't have DWOT cuz it was released 97, heh.

LOL! THAT could very well be. The nineties were so long ago!
It was most likeley 96-97. Back when the only way to get Sy-X's stuff was on Japan's Zero label....... I should stop posting on the sly from work!

JW

WhoFooldU said:
1998: The Accolade on an Inside Out music sampler in the release of Winter Rose purchased in the UK :) Sometimes you just have to stumble upon the right things.

Thats exactly how I got to know them. And that means I have voted a year to early in the poll.

I got to know them in the summer of 1998.

About '02. I first heard of them in 2000 when I saw the New Mythology album review. At the time I was thinking, "I've never heard of em... they must be a shitty band." Then my friend actually sent some of their stuff. Sea of Lies did it for me in '02 and I've been hooked since.

it was 2002, and i had heard that syx did a song that was 24 minutes long, and i really wanted to hear it. So I bought the odyssey and listened to only the title track for about a week before even going to the rest of the cd.