What is the band thinking/up to?

Yain

New Metal Member
Sep 11, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel.
Hi everyone, Symphony X has been one of my favourtie prog metal bands for a long time. Theres something that concerns me about them though

It has been a very, very long time since the last update from the band regarding their activities and a new studio album. I was just wondering if anyone knows, or has any idea why are they not updating us, the fans? Why do they leave us confused and unaware of whats going on? Has Symphony X basically disbanded and they just didnt announce it yet?

Assumptions, ideas or anything else you wanna discuss about this, you are more than welcome to

Didnt expect silly replies like this, but jokes aside Im really wondering whats up with Symphony X and if they broke up or not. From a quick look at official pages theres no such announcement of a breakup so nice try nckissfan

I guess they are just taking their time like they are doing everytime between each album, you know, Michael Romeo writing the basic song structure for the new songs for months while other members do some side projects like M. Lepond is doing or R. Allen with Adrenaline Mob. :)

But seriously, either they're working on side projects, or if we're lucky- writing meterial for a new album. It HAS been almost three years since IC, so we're looking at like maybe one more. Or they may just have their own personal stuff going on.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think SX has ever been one of those bands who tell their fans everything they are doing, like Dream Theater. Butit's really pretty difficult to tell, obviously, since no one has said anything.

Guys, Perhaps I wasnt clear. Im not wondering what the band is doing, Im wondering why are they not updating us about it(whatever it is)

No matter how busy they may be, it takes no longer than a minute to write a short update on the website regarding what they are up to or whats going on in general, so no matter how busy they may be they can obviously find that free minute to do so. But they arent doing it. And I think thats very weird because, dont they want their fans to be updated about them? They must realize that we are all disappointed about the lack of updates

Sorry to inform you my friend but this has been the band's modus operandi for a very long time. Pretty much since the Odyssey came out it has been 5 or so years between albums with barely a peep in between.

When they have something significant to say they will put the news out there. The forums here have had numerous discussions on this topic over the years. Until then we just have to listen to other stuff and check back every once in awhile for updates.

Well...you just get used to it after a while I suppose. But this forum is a great place to come and discover new music.

Yeah, ever since Odyssey you pretty much hear nothing for 5 years and then finally get a new album that turns out to only dissapoint..

This process has pretty much taken them from being my favorite band. Between waiting so long to get mediocre albums, and having more time to discover more bands, it kind of put them down on my radar.
It's pretty hard to believe I have known of this band for 12-13 years now and that when I first discovered them V was the newest album and Odyssey was just getting ready to come out, and over all those years I have only gotten 2 "meh" albums from them...

Same here, I discovered them sometime in 2010 if I remember correctly. Cant remember where or how I discovered them, but the long gap between studio albums made me realize this wasnt going to be a band you hear from often

I have very little prog metal bands to listen to "meanwhile". Hoping to discover new ones to be honest, maybe I'll check out Opeth I believe thats a good band. heard of them a while back but never got to hear aany of their songs so theres that special moment of a first time for me right now

during the time of SX's decline and absence I've learned to really appreciate prog rock and post rock, while also appreciating many pop and indie pop artists. this is in addition to already being a big fan of death/black metal (and to a degree thrash and power metal). not to mention all the "genreless" music I like.

in other words, half the music in the world, including SX, could disappear and I wouldn't be much worse off.

Natan, give Still Life a try. Personally its my favorite album by them. It's probable the easiest to listen to. That or Damnation. If you don't like growls, Damnation. If you do, Still Life. Their first two album are somewhat black metally, so you may or may not like it, but they are very good too. Blackwater Park is also very good.