What is the band thinking/up to?

He's been writing material for sure.
Takes years to make a record despite what y'all might think.

Personally, the only album I don't like by them was Watershed. I think that is a horrid album.

While I wouldn't call it "horrid," it's definitely my least favorite album by them. Hessian Peel is cool, and there's neat little bits scattered around the album (the groovy middle part of Lotus Eater comes to mind), but other than that there's not much that's memorable on there.

He's been writing material for sure.
Takes years to make a record despite what y'all might think.

depends on what band you're talking about. some seem to be going supernova with creativity and pop things out every year or more. (Devin Townsend)

others, it's a dry season. (Cynic took a while)

Hi, guys!

A few weeks ago I went on 70k, saw Symphony X and it got me thinking about this forum :)

You can look up their performances on youtube I'm sure. Sadly, I was a little underwhelmed. It's hard to explain, but to me it was as if they were trying to be something they're not. The playing was as solid as it's ever been and everyone had a great time, but hearing Russell calling everyone in the audience motherfuckers and stuff was kind of off-putting to me... they're Symphony X, not Septic Flesh. The second set they did on the boat was pretty much the same exact set they did when Ken and I saw them back in 2007. Snooze. Watching them karaoke was way more entertaining.

Yeah, I know what yer saying... Sadly i've never seen them live, but i have watched live videos on youtube. I have also have seenn Russell yelling at the audience. It's...umm... lame or something- for lack of a better word.

:err: Russ, you're trying to hard to be a badass... like you have something to prove?

Hi, guys!

A few weeks ago I went on 70k, saw Symphony X and it got me thinking about this forum :)

You can look up their performances on youtube I'm sure. Sadly, I was a little underwhelmed. It's hard to explain, but to me it was as if they were trying to be something they're not. The playing was as solid as it's ever been and everyone had a great time, but hearing Russell calling everyone in the audience motherfuckers and stuff was kind of off-putting to me... they're Symphony X, not Septic Flesh. The second set they did on the boat was pretty much the same exact set they did when Ken and I saw them back in 2007. Snooze. Watching them karaoke was way more entertaining.

Wow, I never thought Russel Allen was influenced by James Hetfield... I remember reading he was (besides Dio et al.) into country, jazz and blues and stuff like that... well I guess that´s dissappointing and also revealing about what´s coming with SX.

:erk:

I've seen Symphony X live since they began touring the U.S., and Russ has always been like that. In fact, when I saw them in 2012 he was more mellow than when I saw them in the early 2000's.

Through the looking glass live. Go to 3:50 or so.

He never spoke on stage as if he was sir lancelot, basically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Facebook update! "Just spoke to Mike, and he wanted me to thank everyone who came out to support him with the Zimmer competition, as well as for all of the birthday wishes!
As for news, he's been writing material for the next Symphony X cd, & said that things are starting to come together as far as that goes. And so the cycle that is the creation of a new SymX cd starts anew..." - Jax