Singers who have retained their voices through the years

PrincessHades

Apr 11, 2015
Try to stay in the 50 plus range unless the singer has done lots of drugs and/or drank heavily.

My vote goes to Phil Anselmo. His voice got lower and more raspy in the mid to late 90s, but it remained that way up until a few years ago. He still sounds great, I just hear a song from the new Superjoint album, he sounds badass.

Another is Paul Di'Anno. I was surprised to hear that he still sounds pretty good. Finally, Bruce Dickinson.

Another is Paul Di'Anno. I was surprised to hear that he still sounds pretty good.

u wot

Harry Conklin still sounds fantastic. Eric Adams sounds really good for being in his 60s as well, although Manowar does like one show a year I think so maybe that's why. Even Halford has some amazing performances when he hasn't been on tour for too long.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Graham Bonnet and Glenn Hughes, these dudes are both well into their sixties, but sound better than ever. I'm honestly convinced some of Bonnet's wails could startle the Richter scale, even to this day.

Reactions: Atomic Tide and CiG
This is going to sound like a racial stereotype, but it's as if the voices of black singers never deteriorate.
Depends. James Brown for instance, despite being a human cyclone till the end, lost his ability to hit his otherwordly upper to mid 5th octave and onward shrieks, and his tone was slightly less limber. But I can't say you're terribly wrong.

Reactions: CiG
Ah good point, I totally forgot about James Brown. He was a pretty reckless guy, probably why it happened to him, but he does indeed seem to be the exception to the rule.