Singers who sound like ... other singers!

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Ok so I'm a little bored and this thought popped in my head ... over the years I've discovered many amazing vocalists from an absolute shit-ton of great bands. Of course that bit is a little subjective but just go with it ... Along the way I've found vocalists who I thought were very unique in how they sang but even more, the actual sound of their voices. Of course as time goes by and new bands emerge you start discovering new singers who sound eerily similar to ones you thought had no equal. Example:

Blackie Lawless ... fuck yeah, no one sounds like this guy.
(fast forward a few years)
Hansi Kürsch ... wow, sounds like a more trained version of BL with an uncanny ear for melodies / harmonies and the range to do what anything he wants
(fast forward a few more years)
Jens Carlsson - WTF??? Its a young Hansi!

Other quick examples:

David Bower (Hell) - took me a few days to realize he sounds VERY similar to a young (hahaha) Jon Oliva from Savatage

Bruce Dickinson (IM) - not an easy one but I'll be damned if Tobias Sammet didn't do a great impersonation at times on Edguy's "Vain Glory Opera"

Kai Hansen (Helloween / Gamma Ray) - Joel DuBay (Powermad)

Ok so you get the point. There's so many at this point I thought it might be cool to try and list metal vocalists who you feel are unique with the sound of their voice and if anyone can list a newer version of that singer.

Here's a couple I have yet to hear ANYONE sound like:

Eric Adams (Manowar)
Bobby Blitz (Overkill)

Whatchya got for me?

At times, Jonny Lindqvist (Nocturnal Rites) sounds a lot like Mark Boals (Yngwie, Ring Of Fire), to me at least. So much so, when I first heard Nocturnal Rites, I had to check to see if it was Mark. :)

And probably an unknown around here, Jonny Tatum of Eumeria. He sounds a LOT like Tony Harnell (TNT), but I dare say...maybe even a tad better. Hmm...now that I think of it. He also has a touch of Mark Boals from time to time. Jonny has moved into my list of all time favorite singers. If you don't know Eumeria, it's Bobby Williamson's (ex-Outworld keyboardist) band. MUCH more mature songwriting than Outworld. Sound clips: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Mind/dp/B00540N1BG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1311271057&sr=1-1[/ame]

Well....there's this guy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBX6LCVJpMU&feature=related[/ame]

He even has the moves and the look down.

There's also this guy who sounds amazingly close to Roy Khan from Kamelot. I've posted this a while back but no one seemed to notice it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also this guy who sounds amazingly close to Roy Khan from Kamelot. I've posted this a while back but no one seemed to notice it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf9gQmDjm1M

I noticed! :D

I just don't like Kamelot so I'm probably not the best person to comment on it :p

Nice find with that Accident of Bruce guy ... he IS pretty damn good but I was thinking more along the lines of actual established bands ... just to keep it all a little more consistent ;)

I always thought Bobby Blitz sounded a bit like Udo Dirkschneider lol.
Steve Zetro Souza sounds pretty close to Bon Scott at times.

At times, Jonny Lindqvist (Nocturnal Rites) sounds a lot like Mark Boals (Yngwie, Ring Of Fire), to me at least. So much so, when I first heard Nocturnal Rites, I had to check to see if it was Mark. :)

And probably an unknown around here, Jonny Tatum of Eumeria. He sounds a LOT like Tony Harnell (TNT), but I dare say...maybe even a tad better. Hmm...now that I think of it. He also has a touch of Mark Boals from time to time. Jonny has moved into my list of all time favorite singers. If you don't know Eumeria, it's Bobby Williamson's (ex-Outworld keyboardist) band. MUCH more mature songwriting than Outworld. Sound clips: http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Mind/dp/B00540N1BG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1311271057&sr=1-1

I always heard a strong resemblance between Mats Leven (Therion) and Jonny Lindqvist

Years ago, when I heard a lot of heavy/power metal bands I thought that this guy sounded a lot like bruce dickinson. In the heavy metal, nobody sounds like Piet Sielck of Iron Saviour.

^ "The Warning" and "Rage For Order" from Queensryche come to mind a bit more but yeah, I hear the Dickinson in places

Agreed on Piet as well ... can't really think of anyone that sounds like him

The guy from Alice in Chains and Eddie Ellis (e.g. vocals for Deeper Within by James Murphy)

At times Jeff Gutt sounds like Chester Bennington from Linki Park.

Jeff Gutt:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM18qFNI3DM&feature=related[/ame]

Chester Bennington:

It's not exactly the same but they have similiarities.

Jens Carlsson from Savage Circus sounds damn close to Hansi from Blind Guardian. But not so awesome.
J.D. Cronise from The Sword reminds me of Ozzy. But much more awesome.
Claudio Sanchez from Coheed And Cambria reminds me of Geddy Lee from Rush.

Jens Carlsson from Savage Circus sounds damn close to Hansi from Blind Guardian. But not so awesome.
J.D. Cronise from The Sword reminds me of Ozzy. But much more awesome.
Claudio Sanchez from Coheed And Cambria reminds me of Geddy Lee from Rush.

Cmon, Claudio blows Geddy out of the water :fu: :loco:

^Sorry...I thought this thread was about singers? :devil:

In my books a vocalist is a singer when he uses melodies to express himself. I know they both use a dirty style mostly but it still counts as singing.

If you're referring to Chester screaming, it's true he screams but he also sings. Anyways I consider them both to be singers.

Creed's singer probably didn't stop short of changing his surname to Vedder.

Oh man i remember the time when that shit was getting huge, I knew of bunch of grunge chicks that couldnt stop talking about creed. That band Days of the New, too. Ugh. At least Vedder presumably did it first even though i'm not a fan of PJ.

At least Chris Cornell had some raging pipes.