Slayer - South Of Heaven

Wicked Child said:
That's creepy...I'm listening to that album now, and i go into this forum and what do i see? this thread! Weirdness! Anyway,great album, one of their best. Slower(think the slower songs off of Seasons,and you'll be in the right track. No worries, the thrashers aren't gone either, just not as "fast for fast's sake" like Reign In Blood) but still fucking THRASH METAL!!!!!!!!! And it also has two of my all time Slayer songs, too: "Behind The Crooked Cross" and "Mandatory Suicide"!
Yes, "Behind The Crooked Cross" I have digged it right off the bat. "Mandatory Suicide" is one of their famous songs but I really dont care for it that much.

Pretty good album but I like their other 80's album better. And yep, speed isn't everything.

Thraxdude666 said:
How can you say Slayer got lazy on this album with such killer tracks such as 213, Sex Murder Art, Serenity In Murder, Killing Fields, Divine Intervention and of course...Dittohead.
Easy. 'cause it sucks IMO. The only thing that was really over the top on this particular album is Bostaph's drumming. The rest is just a collection of half-assed songs lacking dedication from a bunch of old farts who had obviously lost their fire at that time. But you're right, God Hates Us All is one of the best albums Slayer have ever done.

MURAI said:
So what do you think about it?

Hi Mura
I really liked this album when it first came out, though i did like alot of their other stuff pre south of heaven such as reign in blood and hell awaits, but i found this album easier to get into and out of all the slayer albums it was probually my favourite one. The albums they brought out after south of heaven such as seasons in the abyss i found difficult to get into and was not really my cup of tea,but thats just me. I think i still have south of heaven on cassette somewhere and though i dont listen to slayer much anymore, i did play that album a couple of times last year, so i think its still among the classic albums of its kind and time. I noticed that on one of the ministry (who also are an extremely good band) albums the one which had alot of symbols and signs as the album title, that they had pinched a couple of guitar riffs from one of the songs on south of heaven, though i cant remember which ministry track, as i have not listenend to ministry for quite a while either. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this? The track the riff was taken from was south of heaven i think.

crystal dawn

:wave:

DrillSergeant said:
Easy. 'cause it sucks IMO. The only thing that was really over the top on this particular album is Bostaph's drumming. The rest is just a collection of half-assed songs lacking dedication from a bunch of old farts who had obviously lost their fire at that time. But you're right, God Hates Us All is one of the best albums Slayer have ever done.

Wow I never thought I would Disagree with you so much hahahaha DEVINE INTERVENTION RULES! .... but at least you didnt trash on Bostaphs drumming,...I would be on the next flight to germany to kill you :loco:

Hahaha, if that is what it takes to get you over here I will deny my own opinion and trash the mighty Paul as well. :D Doesn't matter though. Then we agree to disagree. I like any other Slayer album much more and DI is the least listened to in my collection. I think Slayer had problems to keep creating good ideas that would match their old style. The change in style has done 'em only good. Now they have the old fire again.

South Of Heaven is great and one of my favorites from the band. Seasons was awesome too but I don't really care for any records after that but some of the songs on those records I don't really care for do go over well in a live setting. To me though Slayer is Show No Mercy through Seasons In The Abyss.