Slayer

Originally posted by Metal is Religion
I will be seeing them in concert with Soulfly and In Flames.

I saw Soulfly and Slayer on tour in Sept.5. Soulfly was pretty decent. Played quite a few Sepultura songs, Roots, Chaos AD. The song remains insane sounds great live.

Slayer's setlist was mostly older material. They rocked as well.:headbang:

I like all of Slayer's albums. I've been a fan of thiers for the longest time... I bought Hell Awaits on vinyl the day it came out, same with Reign in Blood and South of Heaven....

They're still keeping their faith. Gotta respect them for that....

And how the hell would any of you critics top Reign in Blood and Hell Awaits?

Post YOUR MP3s. :p

Yeah, I went to see Slayer, In Flames and Soulfly... Slayer, well they kicked ass, thank god. In Flames only had a 30 minute bit, which included two of their songs that don't sound like In Flames off of their new album. It pained me to hear the synthesizer intro for one of their new songs. Soulfly... I listened to one song and left, they just lack as musicians and it baffles me to think people pay them to write that "metal", which it isn't. Anyway, I like most of Slayer's stuff, and all of it sounds really good live still, which surprised me. I thought that they would be too old to put on a good show, but they Kicked Ass. YAY!

... What the hell are you doing on the ultimateMETAL forums if you hate Slayer? They are metal...
:lol:Unless you like that Nu metal stuff:lol:

Originally posted by Sonnenritter
Who knows or cares? Slayer have put out horrible material since '94.

God Hates Us All wasn't horrible. it is better than most of the 1990's stuff.

'Payback' was a bad motherfucker!!

I agree that the level of songwriting has fallen since Divine Intervention, but the level of thrash brutality hasn't fallen at all - in a way they're more intense now than ever. Tom's vocals have also come a long way, I like what he's doing now, although some of the lyrics aren't that strong.

Slayer is still bad ass and I definitely think that God Hates Us All was a step up from the last album. Granted, it ain't as good as the early albums were, but they are still fucking shit up more than any other heavy metal band shy of death metal. On another note, does anyone else hear the influence of The Haunted's latest album (The Haunted Made Me Do It) on God Hates Us All like I do? Pop those two albums in and compare them if u haven't noticed this, you'll be surprised.

"The Haunted's" first album, which is self titled, has a mainstream type of metal vocalist so if you don't like death vocals, check that one out. If you don't care, then check out the second one too, The Haunted Made Me Do It. It 's bad ass and the vocals are audible, just death style. I don't like it as much as the first, but it's still a great album. They just finished up their third album and it should be set for an early to mid-2003 release I'm guessing. Their is no doubt in my mind that that album will be bad ass too.

I saw slayer live last year for the first time in sept or so. It was near the beginning of their tour in Winston-Salem, NC. They fucking tore the house up. Tom was a total pro up their.

Everyone would respect Slayer if they called it quits. That way we could remember them as one of the best metal bands ever. If they keep this pace of touring and releasing mediocre albums the only way we'll remember them is like another Def Leppard far past their expiration date.

...but man do they rock live.

you would think def lep would have been able to retain at least a part of their fortune from selling 17 million Hysteria albums and all their arena tours, but whatever, the subject is slayer. for american metal, my vote is with Testament over Slayer any day of the week. they're more consistent by far and chuck tears tom a new asshole directly between the eyes with his voice. tom's voice has always sucked, but sometimes songs like south of heaven and raining blood just shine through! they're still waaaaayyy overrated though. children of bodom sound cooler than slayer, anyday.