Slip edit choppiness

Downwards

Feb 22, 2010
Michigan
www.myspace.com
Allright, so did the slip editing of these drum tracks in Reaper, grouped, used the split & fade macro. After doing that thought, the audio for the overheads, and the hihat tracks are are choppy. Mainly the hihat. Anyone else ever have this problem, and know how to correct it?

Are you sure your slip editing correctly if your using a macro? I use cubase, but the method should be similar, and it wouldn't be the same if the cuts were made before or automatically.

As far as choppy-ness goes, I tend to get that when the part wasn't played very well. Using the high hat example, if the high hat rhythm and the kick/ snare hits are off of each other, if you just line up the kick and snare hits, the high hat is going to be doing some very funky stuff, including sounding chopped. It helps if you pay attention to what the high hat and cymbals are doing while you are editing so you don't chop off the attack, or accidentally double the attack (and get a glitch sound). You could also line up cymbal and high hat hits in gaps with no kick/ snare so the edited drums sound smoother and more in time with itself. It's the intricate cymbal work while you are slip editing drums that makes not using macros so important, because the computer will only see what the shelled drums are doing.

Are you sure your slip editing correctly if your using a macro? I use cubase, but the method should be similar, and it wouldn't be the same if the cuts were made before or automatically.

As far as choppy-ness goes, I tend to get that when the part wasn't played very well. Using the high hat example, if the high hat rhythm and the kick/ snare hits are off of each other, if you just line up the kick and snare hits, the high hat is going to be doing some very funky stuff, including sounding chopped. It helps if you pay attention to what the high hat and cymbals are doing while you are editing so you don't chop off the attack, or accidentally double the attack (and get a glitch sound). You could also line up cymbal and high hat hits in gaps with no kick/ snare so the edited drums sound smoother and more in time with itself. It's the intricate cymbal work while you are slip editing drums that makes not using macros so important, because the computer will only see what the shelled drums are doing.

I set up the macro in Reaper the same as what Adam explained, (The Drum Split action), so it should be right. And yeah, admittedly, I was only paying attention to what the drums were doing, and not the cymbals. Some of the HiHat parts(particularly during blast) don't match the snare like they're supposed to. The drummer ended up playing only half as many HiHat hits as he did the snare(and its supposed to match). It actually ended up being so screwed up, and I decided to just make a cymbal track with midi/EZDrummer. :D

What are your crossfades set at? they should be .005... The default is .01. If the crossfades are too long, you will hear the splits, especially in the overheads.

Crossfades are at .005, so is the trigger pad.

The drummer ended up playing only half as many HiHat hits as he did the snare(and its supposed to match). It actually ended up being so screwed up, and I decided to just make a cymbal track with midi/EZDrummer. :D

Hmm, dunno, it's often that drummers play the hihat 2 times slower then the snare doing blastbeats. But anyway, yeah, you have to pay attention to the cymbals too when editing drums.

I absolutely hate slip editing drums if I don't need to. Always seem to end up with artifacts and glitches. I usually try to get the drummer to get the parts as close as possible off the bat and don't really fuck with stuff too much.

There's always the odd fuck-up though. Last recording of my own band, drummer somehow gets off from click by a beat or 2.....plays a quick double bass section, and somehow catches back up to the click. I thought "ok, that was retarded, but I can probably slip edit it....." Turned into more of a headache than I though. Left it alone. Tracked guitars to it. No biggie. :lol:

I had similar problems in the past. You just have to take care of the HH when you are slip editing. If the drummer is really bad I try to edit all the cymbals (as long as it's necessary/possible), not only kick, snare and toms.
Sometimes, when there is a cymbal that is supposed to come on the same beat as a kick/snare but it isn't, you have to make compromises. Try to place them where it sounds the most natural.