Slipknot - IOWA

Draconamis, thats a really retarded comment. Just because you sing about angry ideas doesnt mean you have to be a murderous psychopath who doesnt care about humankind. Also, about their lyrics on IOWA (from what I can remember seeing as I dont own it and havent heard it since a friend bought it on release): while they have all this "maggots" crap, unneccessary swearing and resort to "you dont like me, so fuck you" much too often, some of the lyrics are actually quite clever and ironic from what i remember.

I was impressed by the production of the album (it actually sounds like their are more than 4 people in the band now!) but not enought to buy it! Plus the single I though WAS pretty lame and tacky.

Originally posted by Draconamis
Now maybe it's just me but aren't these the same people who are always talking about hate, and death, and destruction....and they have wives?! Whom they obviously care about?!
Maybe it's just me, but isn't that a little contradictory to their "messages" in their "songs" ?

I read an article about them in the times (yes, the broadsheet nespaper in the uk :lol: ) and 3 of them are married, and one has 3 kids...

the first side i look this band is totally brutal on their mask.secondly,their music.more harsh but still playing some hardcore elemen and death metal touch on their riffing and their melody.But it was in "mate,feed,kill and repeat"album......but i was informed that before they release their first album,they already playing some death metal in their first demo.and my opinion about their new album is too bad but too satanic and blaspemous.Their music is more like limbizkit or korn influence but not too much.They still maintain their own death metal style.hahahahahahahha.......(some nonsense on their concept??)

Ok... here I go on the rampage...

I have never heard a Slipknot song that I liked beyond that.

Now, lets move on to the band?

And a more pathetic bunch of image obsessed muppets I have rarely seen. They are so filled of their rage and naughtiness, but I've seen more destructive behaviour from the boys in my year. They slam bands who did the clown thing before they did for copying them.

They suck in every shape, way and form.

Slipknot's alright. I have both the albums, and I like the first one a little better. Joey Jordison got to much into the double bass in the second one, whereas the first he was innovative and using all of the drumset. It's good music to drum along to, lots of good elements like falling rock fills, time sig. changes, MAD ass double bass, etc. I've heard of couple of songs from the EP, Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat, and it really dissapoints me that Mick, the guitarist, doesn't shred anymore. He did in the first one, and he was pretty damn good, now he just does power riffs all the time. The lyrics are especially cheesy, however. I like the one "I WANT TO SLIT YOUR THROAT AND FUCK THE WOUND!!!" But hey, sometimes you gotta look past the bad or you'll never get to the good.

I own both of Slipknot's albums, and there are definately better metal bands out there (not saying that Slipknot is metal at all) like Slayer and Morbid Angel. I just can't stand Slipknot's lyrics, but i still like them and Iowa is better than S/T.

"I had an encounter with Slipknot that I found to be a bit odd...make of it what you will.
I was going to Columbus Ohio to see Inflames who were opening (I couldn't fucking believe that one) for Slipknot. My intent was to see In Flames and then take off. So I went to get the tickets a few days before and as it turns out, Slipknot canceled that show because one of their Wives had some sort of disease.....
Now maybe it's just me but aren't these the same people who are always talking about hate, and death, and destruction....and they have wives?! Whom they obviously care about?!
Maybe it's just me, but isn't that a little contradictory to their "messages" in their "songs" ?

LMFAO that just proves their smart fuckers who know teen angst and masks will appeal to all those fucking losers and they will sell a ton of CD's kinda like how that fucking band horde who put out 1 album back in '94 was christian black metal so that all the stupid fucking christians would buy the CD for their blasphemous black metal kiddies

Here's a little review I wrote on another site...

from www.sonicdeath.co.uk

IOWA - SLIPKNOT

Nu-metal played fast is not death metal.

Many people, including a lot of critics who should know better, have been saying this album shows Slipknot's death and black metal influences and contains elements of both styles. This has sacrilegiously compared to Slayer's landmark album "Reign In Blood". This has been called the direction of metal for the future.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

It's just Korn on amphetamines. If this is death metal, then I'm Ronan Keating!

It's nu-metal played a bit faster than the average bunch of clown-trousered, dog-chained, whining, spike-haired wannabes. That means it has no substance, no feel, little musical skill, and is just downright dreadful. The "aggression" comes across as contrived and calculated.

The lyrics are inane, vapid, and braindead. "If you're 555/Then I'm 666". Truly insightful, I can, like, so relate to that, man, Slipknot feel my pain. And how clever is calling a song "People = Shit"! I'm gonna white it all over my school books, 'cos that's just what I feel! Enough sarcasm...

Musically, it's mush. The drumming is nothing spectacular, despite two extra percussionists. The riffs are recycled and bland, the bass is boring, and vocals are poorly executed. So the vocalist can scream and sing... Try it yourself- it's not difficult at all, and many do it much better. The addition of four extra musicians than the band needs adds nothing noticeable to the sound whatsoever.

This is nu-metal pabulum stuck in a blender. Sure, it's faster than normal nu-metal, but at the end of the day, it still tastes the same.

I don´t think slipknot
is the heaviest band on earth!
There are only two or three good tracks
on their records the rest is total shit!!!!!!

Trash til´ death

Originally posted by Nick Inch Nails
Have you ever read a slipknot interview.

"You only have to listen to the lyrics on Iowa to know that I'm the best songwriter ever." -Corey Taylor

You have to be fucking kidding me. :eek: :lol:

SlipKnoT have a headbanging place in my heart...although technically they are of course bull, they do have a knack for catchy songwriting and diversity, moreso than much of the rest of nu-metal......People=Shit shows where turntables have been used to damn good effect...although rare yeah, I love it so. They tried hard to make IOWA sound like proper metal...it almost came-off with the speed and grind touches, but with those lyrics and those vocals they'll never be such. If one thing can be said of them; the sort of music they make is closer than most nu-metal to heavy metal, and so will likely induct more people into true metal than, say, Linkin Park. (even though I like them too. =)

Ok ok ok, so who gives a fuck what I like..... I didn't get to listening to the metal I like without working my way-up the ladder first...and i've not forgotten what I used to listen to! I couldn't care less how technically retarded or commercial a band is if I like how it sounds.