slow down, guitars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read it all....I'm allowed my opinions.....I do see both sides....but I play for my reasons.

You're allowed your opinions, as are we... including those of us whose opinion of your opinion is not so high. However, 'not everyone who makes music puts performance above writing' is not a matter of opinion, so you can't retreat very effectively that way.

Jeff

Did you read the post after the "doesn't make you a metal head".....I thought about it after writing, and there are many metalheads that don't even play an instrument....I then put that in another post, I realized that statement was "blanket" compared to what I was getting at.

The point is again that when I play my riffs I can't feel it the same at any other speed that what was meant to be....

Think about it this way......I have the same view for the opposite:
Playing something fast just because it can't be played slow....

I respect all your opinions, but I think that metal is such a guarded type of music to ones soul....more than any other genre in my opinion, the point of it as a musician is to feel the riffs....every time, studio or not. Then that's the shit that gets "on tape".

Listen....playing this stuff has got me through some real hard times in life...and without it I'd probably be so pissed off at the world, or scarred that I couldn't go on....

That is why I PLAY my riffs when I record.

1269198007568.jpg

Did you read the post after the "doesn't make you a metal head".....I thought about it after writing, and there are many metalheads that don't even play an instrument....I then put that in another post, I realized that statement was "blanket" compared to what I was getting at.

The point is again that when I play my riffs I can't feel it the same at any other speed that what was meant to be....

Think about it this way......I have the same view for the opposite:
Playing something fast just because it can't be played slow....

I respect all your opinions, but I think that metal is such a guarded type of music to ones soul....more than any other genre in my opinion, the point of it as a musician is to feel the riffs....every time, studio or not. Then that's the shit that gets "on tape".

Listen....playing this stuff has got me through some real hard times in life...and without it I'd probably be so pissed off at the world, or scarred that I couldn't go on....

That is why I PLAY my riffs when I record.

What can I say.....? You're right.........

I don't know.... What I'd do... Or how I'd go on without my bombs........

thebomb.jpg

[/captainkirk]

So joey cuts the notes. My question is, in reaper, I've been recording putting the playback speed at 75%, tracking the guitar, then putting playback to 100% and keeping original pitch. Does this mess up the DI tracks, being tracked at a slower speed and speeding them back up?

So joey cuts the notes. My question is, in reaper, I've been recording putting the playback speed at 75%, tracking the guitar, then putting playback to 100% and keeping original pitch. Does this mess up the DI tracks, being tracked at a slower speed and speeding them back up?

Do a comparison test, post it, we'll all listen.

I've been using this technique a bit in logic and the sound doesn't seem to deteriorate at all. However, when I did it with a mic'd cab it sounded really bad.

I have talked to some other engineers that said they did the whole shift-3 record in pro tools on a mic'd cab without any side effects so maybe I'm a moron. Probably.

i don't use elastic audio on guitars... are you using it for that joey?
i just chop up the notes and slide em together
great for vocals though... what have you been doing with it joey?

i use elastic audio to tighten performances

i'll hit record, guitar player will play riff best to his ability

next step is warping the notes into time on the grid, its still a bit of an approximate (not 100% tight, but close enough to sound produced and not fake)

next you commit to that edit, and then you edit parts of the riffs, for instance: if there's a monophonic note in the riff and sometimes when he hits that note there's another string ringing over it by accident, you chop those out and replace with clean monophonic versions of the note

next you crossfade those edits together and consolidate, then you put it in the guitar pile

you do this for every guitar part of the song and eventually you come out perfect. doing it this way, you dont have to mess with region locations / region editing to tighten the timing of the riffs, which in my opinion is much more graceful than the older other methods.

for anyone who says elastic audio sounds like shit, its because they're using it to time compress or expand audio more than 2% of its original length. its meant to tighten, not change 8th notes into quarter notes! lol

I've been using this technique a bit in logic and the sound doesn't seem to deteriorate at all. However, when I did it with a mic'd cab it sounded really bad.

I have talked to some other engineers that said they did the whole shift-3 record in pro tools on a mic'd cab without any side effects so maybe I'm a moron. Probably.

when slowing song down to track a difficult part for the sake of saving time and disk space, you need to do so to a DI. this is why its a pain in the ass to track with an actual amp. you need to be doing it with a DI track and some sort of amp modeling monitoring.

if you're an analog real amp freak, you can re-amp later. but during the tracking and editing stage, you need to be working with a DI track for any type of performance editing. this includes time stretching, and even copying and pasting riffs.

This table might be helpful if you want to do rate scaling.

SEMI TONES | BPM RATIO
-------------------------------------
+3 | 1.18920711500272106672
+2 | 1.12246204830937298143
+1 | 1.05946309435929526456
0 | 1.0
-1 | 0.94387431268169349664
-2 | 0.89089871814033930474
-3 | 0.84089641525371454303
-4 | 0.79370052598409973738
-5 | 0.7491535384383407494
-6 | 0.7071067811865475244
-7 | 0.66741992708501718242
-8 | 0.62996052494743658238
-9 | 0.59460355750136053336
-10 | 0.56123102415468649072
-11 | 0.52973154717964763228
-12 | 0.5

For example :
The target song is 200 bpm so you can record the part 2 semi tones lower at (200*0.89) 178 bpm and then time scale it back to 200 bpm.

I've never even considered doing something like this, but I might try it out soon! My playing sucks if I'm honest, so this might help me doing faster music :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.