slow down, guitars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
this thread will go on forever, so i need to point out that we aren't necessarily in disagreeance, because like i said, whether or not this is a sad state of affairs doesn't matter, it's just the REALITY of things. this reality may suck hard, but I don't blame an ENGINEER for cashing in on it. guitarists, yes, and i'm sure joey rolls his eyes at kids rollin up to the studio trying to bust out riffs that they can't quite play to his tightness specifications and requirements (which if you listen to his records, are relentless).

so bottom line, guitarists that approach the studio with the riffs they can't actually play should be stricken with shame.

HOWEVER, the guilt and shame should not fall on the engineer for trying to make the best of what he's been forced to work with, especially in a professional situation, and when you're as high up as joey is. like i said, listen to some of his stuff, (see "attack attack", "the devil wears prada") and you'll be most likely nauseated, but you'll atleast see what i mean.

you're right, you know, about the eye rolling part.

in all honesty i see no wrong in what i do. there's several other hundred engineers and producers out there doing the exact same thing.

have you ever seen blink 182 perform live on jimmy kennel? some of the bands i work with are better than that, and blink 182 are huge.

good recordings can lead to great success, no matter how bad you suck live.

but great success can crumble if you suck live, too.

in retrospect i regret that i was thrown into the scene in which i work, because i'd much rather be doing programmed / factory / machine sounding pop songs like boys like girls, and getting the 1 percent traditionally awarded.

then i could get going on my life's todo list of things to experience... like a yacht, and some ocean, and some sun.

dont get me wrong tho, some of these bands are really passionate at what they do, and so am i. but sometimes it just doesnt fucking matter, and i've got a heat bill durin the winter that's pretty steep. so i could care less at times.

am i the only one disturbed by the highlighted statement? to me that sound like you don't care to much for audio recording. that you want quick results without hard work. i just don't get this attitude of not wanting to learn your instrument and letting tools and tricks to get you to sound like who you're not...cause you get exposed at live shows anyways.

You realise who you're quoting here right? Have you heard how flawlessly tight his recordings are?

Thanks to everybody who posted HOW-TO in this thread. I am recording a DragonForce coverband in a few weeks called King Kong Loves Li. I will probably need this technique.

fuck you joeymusicguy, your a fucking lazy cunt.
learn how to play guitar you fucking cheat.
dont even call yourself a guitarist... fucking fag.

trollface.jpg

Pretty sure this is a joke. If it's not a joke, than it's actually funny. :lol:

and for anyone who's wondering how to do this, its pretty simple

solo your guitar track and your click track
record the riff at half the speed you'd normally play it, against the click
(make sure you have a DI track to see when notes start and end)

make a cut at the beginning of every note
then shorten every note by half (or cut every note in half and remove the second half of each note)

slide the remaining notes "together"

if you're doing this against a grid, its pretty easy

unless you're really tight to a metronome, you'll have to go back through each cut note and slip it on time against the grid / edit

add some 10 - 20 ms left hand cross fades and you're all set!

Reading this makes me wonder wether or not using something like Kontakt, Recycle or Slicex...

Is that what JVAL was saying a few pages back? Does it work better than your "original" method?

Thanks,
Trent

i don't use elastic audio on guitars... are you using it for that joey?
i just chop up the notes and slide em together
great for vocals though... what have you been doing with it joey?

i don't use elastic audio on guitars... are you using it for that joey?
i just chop up the notes and slide em together
great for vocals though... what have you been doing with it joey?

I am gonna mess with it this weekend, you doing like this thread indicates?

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.