Sludge metal?

Yeah, Khanate will make the emo kids hide under their beds and cry for momma, hehe. This band is pure self masochim and you gotta love that. Actually any band from Southern lord is more or less worth checking out. Sunn O))), Thorr's Hammer, Warhorse, Goatsnake, Place Of Skulls... just to name a few.

Yes, Grief are/were gods! I've heard some talk about reformation but we'll see. Also check out Noosebomb. Hayward and Odierno play on that band. A lot faster than Grief (grind/sludge/crust) but lots of fun nevertheless.

And just to add a few bands I forgot to my initial list:

Molehill
Dystopia (sick grind/crust/sludge)
Cable (sludge/blues rock/noise/metal...etc, depends on the song/album you're listening. Nevertheless it's all great)
Outlaw Order (ehg minus Bower)
Aldebaran

molehill are ace, listened to that EP not long ago actually.. dystopia are SICK as fuck.. probably one of the sickest bands around actually.. human=garbage!! oof!! don't be fooled by the (pre-)slipknot-esque title.. this stuff actually hurts!
cable.. is that the cable that were on hydrahead? kinda kiss it goodbye/deadguy/titd sorta stuff...

Yeah, they're the same band. Calling them sludge would be quite a stretch so I didn't do that. The older material is more in that vein. Nevertheless, this band is good enough to mention anyways

Edit: Haha, Deadguy/Kiss It Goodbye and TITD are all amazing bands.. you got a good taste there. Out of Hydrahead bands I'd say Botch is probably my favourite along Isis.