SM57/I5 comparison...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
First time I've ever tried micing guitar cabs so I thought I'd post what I came up with for fun... I know this comparison has been done a few times but I figure another one can't hurt...

Chain was:

Carvin DC127M w/M22SD bridge pickup
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
5150 on Green channel
Peavey 412MS with Sheffield speakers
SM57/I5
Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o

Here's the SM57...
http://www.ashesofthefallen.net/sm57test.mp3

And the I5...
http://www.ashesofthefallen.net/i5test.mp3

Excuse the mistakes and sloppy playing! And try to ignore the metronome that I mistakenly mixed down into the mp3s :lol:

you can deffo hear the difference in the midrange on the comparison. the sm cuts thru nicer, i do like the tonal characteristics of the I5, it does sound a little smoother, but more scooped. think i prefer the SM. Tracking with both will probably work well in a mix. Thanks for sharing!

The i5 seems to pick up more of everything in general, and Jonesy has the right point with the i5 sounding 'scooped', although I'd switch perspectives and point out the well-known tendency of the 57 to be a honky, nasal mess in a good chunk of the midrange.

Pics of the positioning would be helpful, as they respond differently to placement. The i5 is a lot more 'forgiving' and needs less fine-tuning, and also has a different bass response that could be a boomy mess if placed right where the 57 would sound full and thick.

Jeff

kewl its going to be my first time for metal next weekend. and i only have this KRANK amp for two days. so i have to make sure i mic it well.... any tips and shizz or stupid little pointers that may help would be appreciated. only ever mic'd cabs for more mellow stuff.

(i'm preferring the SM)

Spend as much time as you can. If you don't mind taking your mic apart you can easily mod it to remove the transformer, which will open the sound up and make it much less honky, but just be sure to take note of every millimeter and every minute of angle because with that mic placement is everything and then some.

Jeff

I love my 57 with the transformer removed. It definately took the honk away and fattened up the low mids and lows. I have to hit it with more volume now but that's no problem, lol.

Hmm im seriously considering this SM mod, ill have to get another few before i try it. JBroll, you got any comparison clips of the SM57 before and after, im sure someone posted or mentioned about it in the last couple of months, but i was drunk for most of that and wasnt paying much attention :)

Sadly, no, my ex-transformer has been hiding since I moved. I do, however, plan on modding a friend's mic, making a video of the process, and having before-after clips before too long.

Also, if you're afraid of not liking it you can easily keep the transformer and put it into a little 15cm XLR cable so you won't even have to open your mic up to hear the with/without comparisons... PM me for details if it seems complicated, it's really much easier than you'd probably think.

Jeff

Sadly, no, my ex-transformer has been hiding since I moved. I do, however, plan on modding a friend's mic, making a video of the process, and having before-after clips before too long.

Also, if you're afraid of not liking it you can easily keep the transformer and put it into a little 15cm XLR cable so you won't even have to open your mic up to hear the with/without comparisons... PM me for details if it seems complicated, it's really much easier than you'd probably think.

Jeff

ahh so you hooked the transformer up for inline use im guessing?