SM57 vs SM7b vs Both - 5150 Reamp test

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Finally back to reamping for the summer, did a bunch of tests today. Used DI's/backings by Kyle and by myself. Everything was quad tracked, and the 'both' clips have one of each mic on each side.

Kyles (Charvel SoCal, ToneZone):

SM57 Gtrs
SM57 Mix
SM7b Gtrs
SM7b Mix
Both Gtrs
Both Mix

Mine (ESP M-1, 8):

SM57 Gtrs
SM57 Mix
SM7b Gtrs
SM7b Mix
Both Gtrs
Both Mix

Kyle's tone is better to my ears, as I spent more time with it - I did my tests first. The SM7b has a shelf at 8khz since the tone was super dark/smooth even straight-on the dust cap, but otherwise there's just an HPF/LPF at 65/12k, and some light compression on the layered guitars for my clip.

Really loving how smooth and juicy the SM7b is, but I also love the clarity and tightness of the SM57. The blend works pretty well, but I think it'll just be a matter of what kind of material I'm reamping. I can now definitely see how In Flames were using the SM7b on their past couple of albums, though!

In any case, I can now offer reamping in addition to all of my other services, through my 5150 and a JVM! :headbang:

Sounds awsome man! Was the 5150 boosted? what did the settings on the 5150 look like?

Btw, i like the ESp better.

Love this damn song too! Such a killer vibe to it! So melodic!

Only listened to your clips real quick, but I think I prefer the 57. The sm7 with the high shelf added is really similar though, just a bit smoother. I can definitely see how it could be useful. I think I'll try it out on some leads, to go for a smoother sound.

You should remix this backing track with the bass lower though. It bothers me everytime I hear it used :p

Cheers for the comments guys - thinking I could improve the 81 tones with some altered mic settings/eq maybe, will spend more time on it!

Chain was FF800 -> Redeye -> OD808 -> NS-2 -> 5150 (w/bias mod) -> Mesa 4x12 -> 57/SM7b -> FF800. Blended tones had one track left, one track right of each mic, same volumes.

Was the 5150 boosted? what did the settings on the 5150 look like?

Yup, 808 with the standard 9:00, 10:30, 12:00 settings. (all o clock)

5150 was gain at like 2 or 3, Bass at 8, mids at 2, highs at 4.5, resonance at 8, presence at 8, master at 2.5. (all /10)

Where was the SM7b again? Did you try it right in the center of the speaker? I'm kinda curious how that would sound, since the 57 is a little too fizzy right in the center.

I definitely like the tone better for your playing than his. The reamps you did for him are a quite a bit bloated in comparison. What's up with the metallic trail off of the staccato notes, the noise suppressor?

Anyhows, excited to hear more in the future.

I definitely like the tone better for your playing than his. The reamps you did for him are a quite a bit bloated in comparison. What's up with the metallic trail off of the staccato notes, the noise suppressor?

Anyhows, excited to hear more in the future.

Interesting for you of all people to call a tone bloated. Part of that is his ToneZone, versus my 81.

I don't hear a metallica trail off - I hear new strings being played hard? The noise suppressor is only set to mute the amp when there's nothing being played, basically rolling a volume knob on/off quickly. It's not clamping down on his playing, at all - just making it so I don't have to edit out excess noise afterwards.