SM7b questions

allright, I just got myself an SM7b :)

I found a lot of singers feel better and perform better when they are actually able to touch the mic with their lips and hands but never really got that clarity and hi fi sound out of any other dynamic mic.

some questions I'd like to ask the people around here who've got or used this mic:

-what other aplications should i definately check it out on?
-what windscreen do you normally use and why? (also for different aplications)
-what settings do you use on the roll of and boost switches? (also for different aplications)

thanks in advance!

-what other applications should i definitely check it out on? (BASS, KICK AND GUITARS)
-what windscreen do you normally use and why? (also for different applications) Uh, the regular windscreen, pop filter for vox
-what settings do you use on the roll of and boost switches? (also for different applications) flat

BTW, I got some awesome vox once by letting the guy hold it and jump around like it was a 58

I have to say that I used the SM7B to record vocals twice and was dissappointed.

I have been using an AT4060 for 4 years and it sounds awesome for any style.

The SM7B sounded dead in comparison and I had to do alot of extra EQ work to bring life into the vocals I used it on.

I have however been using it as a HighHat Mic as LSD recommended and am quite pleased with it. I use it every time now.

For as much hype as this thing gets and even those here that said it was better than their AT4060, I just found it a bit lifeless.

It honestly reminds me of an SM58, half dead like you need to force your vocals into it. Where as a Beta58 picks up the nuances of the voice and actually makes your job easier. Which is what the AT4060 does.

At least I have a highhat mic.

I have to say that I used the SM7B to record vocals twice and was dissappointed.

The SM7B sounded dead in comparison and I had to do alot of extra EQ work to bring life into the vocals I used it on.

I have however been using it as a HighHat Mic as LSD recommended and am quite pleased with it. I use it every time now.

For as much hype as this thing gets and even those here that said it was better than their AT4060, I just found it a bit lifeless.

It honestly reminds me of an SM58, half dead like you need to force your vocals into it. Where as a Beta58 picks up the nuances of the voice and actually makes your job easier. Which is what the AT4060 does.

I wonder if yours is fucked up. Mine certainly isn't half-dead and I barely eq it. It has shocking clarity and is the most nuanced mic I have for vocals, in fact I sold my U87 because it seemed half-dead, after I got my SM7. Maybe we had bunk examples? I mean obviously there's a reason everybody loves an 87, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Ha

Those two mics you compared are completely diffrent. Obviously th at4060 is going to catch the nuances of the voice better consider it is a CONDENSOR. :guh:

Voice, kick, snare, floor tom, toms....even clean guitars! It is great specially for rock vocals, but for softer stuff, i think there's some better mics out there.

I have a rough mix clip of a song on my soundclick page that has a dry un eqed vocal with an SM7 and a U87... There is just a little transparent compression on the takes... The screams are doubled with an SM7 and the singing vocals are one take of a U87 and another with the SM7... The SM7 was a obviously a little less polished of a sound compared to the U87 (which i think sounds amazing on anyone in a pre eqed "hyped" kinda way) but by no means is the SM7 a dull mic... Here is the link if you want to get an idea of some raw takes of both mics in a mix...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=803131&content=music

p.s. The clip has scratch guitars and non sampled real drums at the moment...

Those two mics you compared are completely diffrent. Obviously th at4060 is going to catch the nuances of the voice better consider it is a CONDENSOR. :guh:

Of course I realize that.....

But my point is that everyone is saying the SM7/SM7B is this great mic replacing Nuemann TLM 103's or U87's and AT4060's and such.....

And for me it was almost night and day difference that my AT4060 worked better for the vocals I was recording when I tested them side by side.

Maybe I will have to take a look at the frequency roll off switch or try it with the thick wind screen off using a regular pop filter.

Of course I realize that.....

But my point is that everyone is saying the SM7/SM7B is this great mic replacing Nuemann TLM 103's or U87's and AT4060's and such.....

And for me it was almost night and day difference that my AT4060 worked better for the vocals I was recording when I tested them side by side.

Maybe I will have to take a look at the frequency roll off switch or try it with the thick wind screen off using a regular pop filter.

To be honest I was a little taken back about the persons comment about completely replacing the u87. Though the SM7 can do a damn good job on some singing voices I think I would opt out for some short of condensor. Now if he was comparing straight screaming voices maybe he has an argument.

Well, subjectivity was the point, I didn't like it for whatever reason. It doesn't mean anything other than in my personal opinion, and in the case of that particular microphone it always lost out to something else. It wasn't a "this mic beats that mic" ,only which tool is right for this particular job.
Everything is relative to what you're doing, Michael Jackson could have used any mic in the world on thriller but they picked an SM7. Over u87's, u67's,c12's,u47's.
To dismiss a mic as inferior , or less detailed because it is a dynamic, is silly.

I really want one !!!

Lamb of god recorded there vocals by having the singer sing thru the SM7B with the big black cap one, touching his lips and holding it and moving his head to get that live performance and for him to be able to expresss himself and then they had a condenser in front of him for ambiance.

To be honest I was a little taken back about the persons comment about completely replacing the u87. Though the SM7 can do a damn good job on some singing voices I think I would opt out for some short of condensor. Now if he was comparing straight screaming voices maybe he has an argument.

It really depends on the singer. For vocals, I'll usually have a batter of mics set up & see what works best with the voice. Sometimes the sm7 is right, sometimes not..... even for screaming vocals, it might not be the perfect fit, depending on the vocalist. But it's a great tool to have available.

That & it's killer on hi-hat!