Sneap and Studio Design

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
As most of you Sneapsters know, Backstage Productions has one hell of a facility :worship:

I figure I would make a little thread here (that will hopefully turn into a big one :loco:) about Andy's studio design.

Andy, who designed your studio?

Was your intent to create a room with a flat response, or one that sounded "right" to you?

I ask this question, as a very well known mastering engineer I know has neither worked nor wanted to work in a "treated" room in his life. He has done award winning work for platinum artists with household names from the seventies such as Led Zeppelin and Michael Jackson on to recent acts like Saves the Day, Norma Jean, Evanescence, and more.

Would you be so kind to share with us some focal points regarding treatment or gear placement that has helped your mixing and workflow?

To keep this rolling, let's try to maybe link to pictures of Andy's studio and analyze what's going on in terms of treatment and gear placement.

There were some other fucking HUGE pictures of the entire studio pre-SSL, incl live room and amp room, that were posted before. Wish I could still find them, think they disappeared with the website renovation.

Maybe Brett can chime in?

The place looks impressive, I can tell you that...
It's easily the second most awesome thing in Belper...

The most awesome thing in Belper (and probably the world) is that indian place Andy took us to. Been trying to find an indian place that rivals it ever since

Is it bad that one of the first things that I notice in the second picture is not how awesome and beeeeeeaautiful the studio is but that there are messy cables under the desk?

Awesome place, but when I went there the surrounding fields had that terrible smell of manure, and there was no water from the tap (had to brush teeth with beer and pee outside). :)

I surely read that last bit pretty wrong the first time
"(had to brush teeth with beer and pee, outside)"
:lol:

It doesn't look like LEDE...can't imagine that the rocks diffuse an aweful lot too, and I guess the windows (which make an über-awesome view) are set in angled? it's hard to see from those pics

Also I guess that the one one the pics is only for mxing/mastering, and tracking/editing is done in the other studioroom?

Andy your control room is the most inspiring control room I ever saw.
For me, this is the perfect room! I love the combination of high-end stuff, and the rustic look. It looks like a place were you can really relax and get shit done:headbang:

about the rocks:
My college prof. in audio engineering is planning the new studio for the facility and told the architects to build the stone walls the same way, because these style is a hell of a great diffusor

The most awesome thing in Belper (and probably the world) is that indian place Andy took us to. Been trying to find an indian place that rivals it ever since

I think I went there with Andy, Scott Atkins, Nick Barker and a few others at new year.

Nick revolutionised eating curry by turning it into a massive Indian burrito; Take naan bread, pour on rice and curry, pick up with hands, eat.

Incredible stuff.

The first time I saw pics of this studio I was really blown away. I think it was about when Killswitch was working with Mr. Sneap there. It's gotta be a dream come true having a place like that!
-John