Studio room design

Mar 11, 2005
England
Ive just bought a 3 story town house with plans to finally get all my gear out of storage and set up an overdub/ mix room on the third floor. Im aware that I will need to do some work on the sound proofing and acoustics of the room and Im already aware of a few threads about this already. My question is this; I work as a live engineer and was wondering if in the short term at least why shouldnt I use a graphic EQ to tune my speakers to the room, either to save on acoustic treatment or while Im waiting to have the work done. Obviously getting the room right is the best option but how 'wrong' is using a graphic and an analyser?

People will say - If you wish to run a professional studio, you should behave like a professional studio. But the fact is no room is perfect, and what listener listens in an acoustically treated room? A lot of engineers I know make sure that they identify what is wrong with the room / speaker placement and learn what it does to their mixes. I would imagine using eq pre speaker would not be a good idea, I realise I'm not fully answering your question. You certainly don't need loads of expensive acoustic tiles, and angeled ceilings and no paralell walls. The simple placement of furniture in the right place, speaker position and creative interior design can do wonders, and makes your studio more interesting than all the other, dark grey clinical rooms - unless you want that look. There is a great chapter in Mike Stavrou's book MIXING with Your Mind, that deals with listening to your room and building your studio to work with your space.

I will always try to find a solution from what I have rather than go out and buy loads of shit that sound on sound or audio media says YOU NEED! Unless of course you are pulling in international artists - they kind of like the xpensive treatments and fancy lights and whistles to justify the £1k a day they pay for studio space!

Try to make your room work and learn whats going on with your speakers before you reach for the cheque book - hell you just brought a three story town house, you've spent enough money already!.

All that being said and I know I've said alot - does anybody have a definitive psychoacoustic reason as to why we shouldn't use eq to correct room problems. My opinion is that you are correcting how your mix sounds in the room and not the room itself - the mix wont therefore translate well to another room.?

I don't remember exactly but the issue has a lot to do with how reflections muddy your stereo image and introduce all sorts of comb filtering and phase issues - especially in small rooms. These have to do more with the temporal effects of reflections then simply with frequency response. You also have to consider affecting reverberation times so for specific frequencies which should be avoided if you're trying to do critical work. I'm in the process of finishing my studio right now and I've payed a great deal of attention to controlling the acoustics in the live and control room - one thing this process has confirmed to me already was how much clarity is increased when all the unwanted resonances are controlled.
I would completely agree with one thing however, spending money on RPG or other treatments is unnecessary - I built all my panels and traps by hand with my girlfriend (months of work) but it cost me maybe 4-5 K in materials compared to probably 20-30 if I bought similar items pre-made.

Obviously you'll have to do tests on your room if you want to apply an EQ for your speakers. I'd imagine this would take in sending out either pink or white noise.

If i was you i'd drop these guys a line - http://www.aaa-design.com/

We've just had them do plans for two of our rooms and they were very helpful.

Good luck!

Man backstage looks cool - they did a good job for Andy there - looks wise - haven't been to the place so I have no idea how it sounds - fucking metal I expect! \m/

Rick Powell said:
Obviously you'll have to do tests on your room if you want to apply an EQ for your speakers. I'd imagine this would take in sending out either pink or white noise.

If i was you i'd drop these guys a line - http://www.aaa-design.com/

We've just had them do plans for two of our rooms and they were very helpful.

Good luck!

Ive already got my hands on a KT analyser for that from work so not a problem.
These have to do more with the temporal effects of reflections then simply with frequency response. You also have to consider affecting reverberation times so for specific frequencies which should be avoided if you're trying to do critical work.
I didnt even thing of this at all thanks.

Thanks for all the responses so far, Ill post some pictures when its all done and the gears fitted.