Sneap and Studio Design

GREAT THREAD!

Also interested in acoustic treatment of Backstage control room.

Interested in monitoring as well!
I've read that Andy uses ns10 most of the times and sometimes checks mixes on Genelecs, but I see that he still uses Genelecs 1031a (they are in the studio).

If you find some spare time, Andy can you please share, what's your opinion on those Genelecs? I also have a pair, but I'm still in the process of getting used to them (most of the times I feel comfortable with my Adams, they seem to have more pronounced mid range)..

Also what's your opinion on room treatment?
Some mixers prefer totally treated rooms, with flat response, and some other mostly don't care about the room treatment at all.
I guess that control room in Backstage is a big place, so it's easier to avoid some of the problems in the first place.

Is there any special design involved like LEDE or something? Acoustic treatment was done by whom, if you can share?

:kickass:

don't confuse "diffuse" with "absorb"!
those hugeass rocks poking through the walls like semi-spheres are like the best diffusors ever!

no, I didn't confuse diffuse with absorb...but I think I mixed up the wavelenght/size relationship of diffusors and reflectors :Spin:
that's why my inital thought was that they look a bit small...but it's not really easy to get a good feel for the size of the rocks from those pictures!

All the rock walls I've seen/heared so far had too small spheres, so they were more a decorative thing than a useful acoustical treatment hehe

I'd love to hear one of these walls for sure one time!

Having an "unrealistic" listening space may preserve the "neutrality" of a mix, or represent the mix more naturally; however, the average listener does not often have the luxury of such a listening environment.

How important is it really to get a mix "working" on your monitors rather than a pair of headphones or a car stereo? What is the "best" source to monitor on?

V nice room , the treatment looks minimal but must be effective enough . Does anyone know if a designer/acoustic engineer was used to sort out the room ?

nah that wasn't the one Dan, both good places tho.

is that place awesome or what?

It would appear I wouldn't know Lasse, haha. The other one was a decent curry house as well though. Just realised that is getting a bit OT...

Getting back on topic... Backstage is killer place; old stone farmhouse in the middle of the countryside full of class gear - pretty idyllic.

We NEED some more recent pictures of the Amp-Wall, etc............Come on Andy, we need our fix. :lol:.

I may well be be visiting around ^said "idyllic" countryside next year. I might have to check out that Curry House!

Good to see you posting again Andy!!!

We NEED some more recent pictures of the Amp-Wall, etc............Come on Andy, we need our fix. :lol:.

I may well be be visiting around ^said "idyllic" countryside next year. I might have to check out that Curry House!

Good to see you posting again Andy!!!

+1 !!!

This might seem really stupid and nooby, but I would've thought the laminate flooring would cause loads of unwanted reflections in the areas where the cloud can't absorb them....

That said I know next to nothing about room treatment and stuff, so sorry if this is a really stupid observation :p

This might seem really stupid and nooby, but I would've thought the laminate flooring would cause loads of unwanted reflections in the areas where the cloud can't absorb them....

That said I know next to nothing about room treatment and stuff, so sorry if this is a really stupid observation :p

It's all about finding the right balance. You don't want a dead sound.

Better than pictures I would suggest Andy to arrange visits for tourists. Many producers and metalheads would pay some pounds to see the sacred place.
Hundreds of japanese tourists taking pictures to Andy while mixing!

Oh, and don't forget a little shop in the exit to sell souvenirs like Sabbat pins, Andy's cuddly toys, raisin bran cruch crispies and that kind of stuff.