So anyone got the G3 DVD with Malmsteen?

Oct 7, 2002
Visit site
I hope to get it soon. I figure some people here might've gotten it, so I'm wondering what it's like. I know little to nothing at all about it actually, but I found a place where I could order it at a low price and I felt it was a nice way to get a little Vai, Satriani and Malmsteen all at once. All I know about it (correct if wrong) is that they do a large Hendrix jam at the end and that there's supposedly a kind of "fret-cam", which should prove interesting :) Is there anything else, though? Like any behind-the-scenes material or other extras?

I've got it,,,don't remember anything about it right now, lol. Got it just before i came back to school and didn't get a chance to watch it all the way through. From what I remember, it was interesting ;)

I have the DVD. It's great and personally, I don't like Malmsteen's performances on the DVD. About the only thing I like Malmsteen's set was the Acoustic Guitar Solo. Awesome. The 'Fret-Cam' feature is very cool, and it's available on only 3 songs in the entire DVD!!! :erk: But overall the DVD is cool and has some great tunes, my favourite being Rockin' In The Free World (the G3 jam at the end). Also, at the end of the concert you see the guys playing around backstage. Steve and Joe as well as others are throwing towels too fast past Yngwie and he can't catch them. Then, I forget who it is, but they throw a towel at someone hard in the face??? I'm unsure as I have only seen it once. I recommend it, much better than the 1996 G3 with Johnson...

Cya,
Scottie

It's awesome, I don't like all of Malmsteen's songs but that's only because I'm not a big fan of his. Vai does a song with the 3-neck guitar that's worth buying it alone, so go get it! And while you're there, pick up the 1996 G3 DVD too, it's very good also.

Buy it for the Vai set.....the Satch set is good but if you have the live in San Fran dvd you have seem most of it before. Yngwie is a fat cunt who shreds hard. The jam at the end is cool with Yngwie trying to railroad Vai and Satch with brute speed.

Vai has a really good set on there, Satch is pretty good too, but i ahte yngwie's performance on there. His playing is sloppy at points and it seems like he spends more time spinning his guitar and doing karate kicks than he does playing. Dont get me wrong i love yngwie, or at least his older stuff, but he has really let himself go over the years, both health wise and playing wise. My teacher who used to worship Yngwie (yngwie was basically his biggest inspiration growing up) went to a show last month with Yngwie nad George lynch and was so dissapointed by yngwie he left halfway through the set. He said he was extremely sloppy that night.

I think the reason Yngwie's playing is so sloppy these days is because he's so overweight, and his fingers are too pudgy to be playing shred guitar. Coupled with the fact that he drinks a lot, and spends too much time putting on a physical performance to the point where it affects his playing...in the old days, while he spun his guitar around and stuff, it was never at the level he does now. He's getting older as well, and doesnt have quite the dexterity of his younger years...and how many times has he broken his hands, or at one point had carpel tunnel...just listen to Yngwie of yesteryear for brilliant shred....or his best guitar playing video to me was Live 85"...classic malmsteen at its best!! :hotjump:

His weight is definitely a problem. He looks like hell these days. He looked as though he leaned out some after changing labels, but from that video it's obvious he hasn't. I haven't seen him live since the mid-'90's, but at that time he'd go through a full 1.75-liter bottle of wine each show I saw him. That's rough stuff. It's advisable from anybody who can see him from the outside that he needs to make some changes or suffer some dire consequences fairly soon. I would be absolutely saddened to lose a virutoso such as Yngwie tragically, as such.

RediscoveryoftheAccolade said:
I think the reason Yngwie's playing is so sloppy these days is because he's so overweight, and his fingers are too pudgy to be playing shred guitar. Coupled with the fact that he drinks a lot, and spends too much time putting on a physical performance to the point where it affects his playing...in the old days, while he spun his guitar around and stuff, it was never at the level he does now. He's getting older as well, and doesnt have quite the dexterity of his younger years...and how many times has he broken his hands, or at one point had carpel tunnel...just listen to Yngwie of yesteryear for brilliant shred....or his best guitar playing video to me was Live 85"...classic malmsteen at its best!! :hotjump:

exactly, yngiwe in the 80s was so much beter than yngwie now

Just to add to the Yngwie criticisms that we've been posting about....like I said in my earlier post, Yngwie in the 80's was awesome...but I also look at it this way: the guy has nothing to prove anymore...been there done that, look at Eddie Van Halen, his playing started going progressivly downhill around the ou812/Carnel Knowledge albums, and it was never the same again...but look at this way, both Yngwie and Eddie were in their early 20's when they were kicking ass, and both were tremendously influential in their respective styles, but neither has a thing to prove anymore, so they themselves don't care how their playing is perceived..if they were just starting out now, they would have a lot more at stake b/c they would have to be on top of their game and establish themselves and be the best (and thats assuming the musical climate was the 1980's all over again..nowadays, nobody gives a shit about shred guitar in the big picture, unlike 20 yrs ago, where guitar heros were a booming business and a regular musical event). But there are a million and one shred players out there...im a shredder myself, but we've all gotten the influence from Yngwie, whether directly or indirectly...even if Yngwie isnt considered your influence on guitar, if you happen to be a shred player who listened to other shredders but not Yngwie, chances are some of the those guys you do listen to were influenced by Yngwie, so w/o him, that neo classical shred wouldnt have occured...Randy Rhoads was interesting and used classical, but not at the speed and technique of Yngwie, but Rhoads was still a great player who never got the chance to show what he was capable off..tragic loss there...but back to Yngwie, the guy has nothign to prove, he knows he started the genre, so anyone after him he feels is taking from him, so he thinks (and ive seen him say it in interviews), that he's at the top of his game playing wise and that he's playing the best he possibly can from his entire career...but think about that...why would anyone say, "yeah, my playing sucks now..im not as good as I was 15 yrs ago".....nobody (especially Yngwie), is going to say that...he's confident in his playing and he knows what he created, so he's not concerned about his presentation today (as long as in his mind, he's playing great). Dont get me wrong, he's still a great player, but not the Yngwie that I love of the Marching Out/Trilogy era. Peace

it seemed like Yngwie was very intimidated by Vai and Satch's playing when I saw them in boston. Yngwie just cant touch them on technique and complexity. Yngwie should just stick to orchestra work, which, to me, seems to be his best modern works. But yes, middle age has definitely took its toll on him..

The sound quality is awesome. Vai and Satch are awesome as always. They play with so much feeling. Yngwie is always entertaining, but he plays the same crap over and over. He has absolutely no feeling or emotion in his playing. Yngwie inspired people, but they have moved way past him. I wish they would have had the Petrucci concert instead. Next time they should take Greg Howe, that would rule!

Airgeetar_freak said:
Next time they should take Greg Howe, that would rule!
Dude, good call! I'm still in awe from seeing Howe II way back in '89. And he and Steve Vai could share Billy Sheehan's services. Or let MacAlpine have his own set.

How about an '80's Shred Fest with Racer X (with Bruce Bouillet) as the headliners and Vinnie Moore, Howe, and MacAlpine playing their own sets. Yeah, man.

Yeah, I was gonna also mention just the 3 Vai Satch and MacAlpine, they have such a chemistry together, its unbeliveable. And MacAlpine is prodigy. Wiener is good, but I really dont see why Vai really needs him, hes really nothing that special. How bout Marcel Coenen instead of the Kid... :)

Wiener is good, but I really dont see why Vai really needs him, hes really nothing that special. How bout Marcel Coenen instead of the Kid... :)[/QUOTE]

Wiener is also Vai's tour maneger

Yeah, I just got the DVD at a Satriani clinic in Cincinnati. He played a brief set by himself (to a recording from his new album,) then stuck around for signing. It turns out the amp he was running through on the DVD (the Peavey JSX) was the prototype for the one he was promoting at the clinic. It was badass meeting Satch 2 miles from my house.

Well, I got the thing last week and have been watching it for all that time. I think the whole package is pretty great (especially considering it's cheaper than most regular cds you'll find in most regular cd stores these days). Vai is awesome as always, as is his guitar sound - again, as always. Satriani is always fun to see or hear, and Malmsteen is the icing on the cake.

I don't want to fire up a Malmsteen debate, but about his performance (on the DVD at least) I guess I can say I find him awesome at some points and quite sloppy at others. In Baroque & Roll for instance he's flawless and very tight - no high kicks or anything either. On the older songs though he tends to improvise, often badly or in a lacklustre way, unfortunately. He throws his guitar around when he should be playing, he plays out of rhythm sometimes, etc... I think he gives the impression there of just not really caring much anymore, doing high kicks and running up and down the fretboard aimlessly.

It's true, he just doesn't have anything to prove anymore, as a player, and it's unfortunate that he didn't start focussing on things like composition over the years and instead chose to follow the same formulas over and over. I think Blackmore once said about him, when he was just starting out, that he was an amazing talent but would probably start putting together truly impressive music when he got a little older and became more at ease. It doesn't seem like that's happened yet, somehow. He's a fantastic player, but I think one of the reasons why his performance suffers these days is because he hasn't kept things interesting for himself. He does indeed fall back on the same kind of licks or patterns a lot, while in the jam he proves he can do other things as well. I'm very pleased with his performance in the jam actually, it shows he's very much at home in classic rock and Hendrix especially - even though even there he often goes into the same shred routines again and again. It's almost like he can't contain himself, like he's still in that phase where he feels he has to shred constantly to impress. Vai for instance does all kinds of different things, from shredding to cross-string tapping to playing bluesy licks or going crazy with his tremolo.

Yngwie's very accurate and sounds great in the jam though, that's for sure. As an old Hendrix fan I especially enjoy the way he plays in Voodoo Chile; he even has that typical Hendrix sound there. It was a surprise too to hear him sing. Who'd have thought he had such a deep, rumbling blues rock voice? :tickled: I'm also a bit miffed no-one mentioned he smashes his guitar on the stage. He does a might fine job there too, I mean he smashes it in half along the length. Definitely one of the highlights on the DVD :D One thing that did disappoint me was the fret-cam feature, which is pretty useless imo. I assumed they'd attached little cameras to the guitar necks, as the name sort of implies, but it's just a regular camera view that remains focussed on the guitar. It's also not wholly different from the way the rest of the DVD's filmed. Still, this release gets a big thumbs up from me. I just wish there was a video from when they had Petrucci on.