G3 in Michigan (ignore the other thread)

BastrdDrmr

Jul 29, 2002
Green Oak, michigan
Visit site
Just got back from the show here in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and man..... this show was fucking awesome. 2nd row tickets didn't hurt either, haha.

First off, we had Yngwie. I was laughing my ass off during his entire set. He seemed to be equally concerned about throwing as many picks into the crowd as he was about playing well. He kept trying to kick the picks into the crowd but just kept missing, haha. I didn't quite get that whole thing where he broke all the strings off of his guitar and started rubbing the guitar on the monitors either. Oh well, it still ruled. Setlist was something like:

Evil Eye
Baroque and Roll
Trilogy Suite (shortened)
long solo with only Yngwie on stage
Some song from Concerto Suite that I can't remember the name of
Some Hendrix song (forget the name) that Yngwie sings on
each band member solos without Yngwie on stage
Black Star (shortened)
Far Beyond the Sun

I managed to snag one of Yngwie's picks which was cool.

I'd seen Vai before, and was hoping for some songs that I hadn't seen him do before like Bad Horsie, Juice, and Erotic Nightmares. Vai came out with a 3 neck JEM which was pretty cool. Man, this guy utilizies a whammy bar better than ANYONE. Tony Macalpine played great and he and Steve traded off solos in a really extended version of the Reaper (Dave Weiner and Sheehan also soloed). Sheehan's bass SOUNDED LIKE COMPLETE SHIT!!!! During some of the faster songs Sheehan totally blocked out Steve and the fact that his bass sounded like shit only pissed me off further. Whispering a Prayer (which I hadn't heard before) sounded fucking awesome as did For the Love of God. Anyway, setlist:

3 neck JEM intro song
Some song where Steve played the 3 neck JEM and sang
Juice
Whispering a Prayer
The Reaper (super extended version with tons of extra solos)
Get the Hell Out of Here
For the Love of God (with the traditional 5 minute outro, hehe)

Next, Satriani came on. As always, his live sound fucking ruled and everything was very evenly balanced. It was funny though.... when Satch went to play Midnight then Jeff's drum mics fucked up or some shit, so Satriani played some song he called the "Waiting for Jeff Blues," which was quite hilarious and lasted about 2 minutes. Then once they fixed it up, he finished in style with a couple songs and the live staple "Summer Song." It seems kinda odd though that the last two times I've seen Satriani Surfing with the Alien hasn't been on the set. Setlist was:

Satch Boogie
Extremist
Crystal Planet
Starry Night
Midnight
Waiting For Jeff Blues
Flying in a Blue Dream
Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
Always With Me, Always With You
Summer Song

Finally, the final jam. This was really great except Yngwie had a bad tendency of "stepping" on the other guys when they had their turns soloing, that is, Yngwie can't seem to stand watching someone else solo while he plays rhythm guitar, so he kept throwing in tons of licks that were unnecessary. All in all, it was badass though and the sound was pretty decent.
Final Jam set:

Voodoo Child (Yngwie sings)
Little Wing (Vai sings)
Keep On Rocking in the Free World (Satch sings)