So, are you a "Poser" if you don't like classic metal?

Skäldar

New Metal Member
Dec 13, 2015
Helvette
So, me and a few friends were having a good time in a skype call, and this one thrash guy we met a week ago, really typical thrash guy, from the south of America, has a bit of an obnoxious accent and such, brings up Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, etc, I just calmly said "Classic metal's not really my thing, I could never really get into it.", my friends agreed with me to an extent, however, this guy just loses his shit and just blasts into this long nonsensical sentence (In a nutshell, it's not an exact replica, might have some details off.)

"You are a poser if you don't like classic metal! You fucking shitheads! Classic metal are the god damn building blocks of fucking metal! Without them you wouldn't have your dumbass viking shit! You Europeans don't understand what us Americans created!"

Then he just launches into this insanely stupid rant about how American metal is better than European metal, and then proceeds to treat Europe like it's just a little country rather than a continent, I, personally, kind of disagree with the whole poser thing unless there's certain circumstances.

So, what do you think? Words of truth, or is he just being a living breathing stereotype?

Last edited:
do you mean the guy was from the south of the USA? or from south america?
but that's actually not the point anyway.
to my knowledge iron maiden and black sabbath are european (british) bands, and yes melodic death metal especially ows typical features to bands like iron maiden. (that was a hard one to admit mysef, because like you, I never got into the classic bands either, mainly because of the voices ^^ ).
did he seriously say maiden and sabbath were from the US? ^^

Words of truth, duh!!

Haha - it really depends on when you got into metal, what bands led you there, etc. I grew up in the 80s so for me, that's "my thing" but I've kept up with the new stuff as well.

You certainly are not a poser if you don't listen to that stuff. You're just not... true metal. :tickled:

I kid, I kid.. :)

No, I don't think people don't like classic metal are poser.
This guy is totally brainwashed, believe me. I'm just trying to understand how he likes classic metal and doesn't like european metal o_O

Don't tell me he isn't a teenager, okay? :D

You certainly are not a poser if you don't listen to that stuff. You're just not... true metal. :tickled:

I grew up in the 80's too. Feel the same way. LOL.

Actually since it's not your thing, you're not a poser, just not raised in the classics. You should go back and listen to some of the greats and see where your current favorite bands get their sound from. It will be an amazing journey, no doubt.

Reactions: MetalAges
No, I don't think people don't like classic metal are poser.
This guy is totally brainwashed, believe me. I'm just trying to understand how he likes classic metal and doesn't like european metal o_O

Don't tell me he isn't a teenager, okay? :D

He's 15, so, no worries! He'll likely be out of it soon

Call me a poser but I can't stand stand AC/DC. They are one of the most over rated bands of all time. Their music is mediocre at best and their vocalist sounds like Cobra Commander from GI Joe

Yeah I know what that guy meant to say. I'm a guy who started to get into metal with new stuff such as nu metal, metalcore and deathcore. I remember I couldn't stand classic bands because of its old sound and clean vocals (which I thought that was soft or something like that) but eventually I gave it a try and for the sake of my ears I ended up enjoying it to the most. I find it amusing because now I experience the otherwise since modern bands no longer pleases me as they used to before and I've just realized how generic and kinda boring most of these bands sound, but hey that's just my opinion.

I don't think you're a poser or not true metal for not liking classic bands but let's just say you're not giving yourself the chance to enjoy other type of metal music which is pure gold.

Last edited:
I don't think not listening to the classics makes you a "poser", but I definitely think it will give you a fundamental misunderstanding of what metal is all about.