So Death Metal or Black metal or whatever it is...

Oct 16, 2010
Uk
I'll first say right away, I realise I'm gonna make myself unpopular here, it's just my thoughts and opinions...

Firstly... What's with all the guts and gore? Aren't you limiting yourselves some what? My band is "Ruptured Disc" this is off our album "Stubbed my toe really badly... but there's more... you can see the bone and there's blood."

Sorry, but I find it all a little silly. I wont even go in to the make-up.

I will say I have HUGE amounts of respect for the musicianship. Some truly incredibly players and the majority of recordings I've heard in this genre on here from you guys, the production values have been very high. I'm not knocking the intelligence of you guys either, I know you're all pretty clued up.

I could listen to black metal (or death, whatever the difference is) if it weren't for the stupid "singing". I'm sorry, but it's not singing, and to me it just makes me want to switch off right away. Maybe this is where there's a difference? A friend of mine played some "reeee" metal, basically a pig squealing was his description. It was the biggest pile of wank I have ever heard. Stuff like Morbid Angel and Carcass, whatever category they fall in to, although I still find the obsession with everything gorey a little silly, I'm cool with that, but still not a massive fan of the vox.

You've kinda pigeon holed yourself in to a corner haven't you? Every song has to be fast or very down tuned and it has to be about hate or gore... I don't get the appeal, sorry.

it's not a debate? your just moaning about it and telling everyone you don't like it.

I said "discussions and debates".

This is a discussion. Well at least it will be if someone with some form of cognisance decides to post.

Have you grasped the concept of forums?

i didnt feel the need to include "discussion" as there is nothing to debate on it let alone discuss. you don't like black metal or death metal. cool.

/thread

This is a troll right?
No offense or anything but theres no way you're being serious...

Nah man, not at all.

Clearly it's not my forte. I'm not clued up on the numerous variations of metal in this sub-genre. I've explained my points on the aspects I don't like about it. Whatever that "reee" stuff is, and that super deep growling with no hint of singing...

I can't reel off a load of bands as examples because I don't willingly listen to it, but have been exposed to it.

yeah, i don't care what you like.

just seemed odd and made me lol.

it was like someone left you alone with a computer for just 5 mins and you just started to write things randomly that popped in to your head.

im not sure what anyone could say to your OP, apart from my response.

yeah, i don't care what you like.

just seemed odd and made me lol.

it was like someone left you alone with a computer for just 5 mins and you just started to write things randomly that popped in to your head.

im not sure what anyone could say to your OP, apart from my response.

That's the whole point though!

That's what makes forums.

If everyone stayed silent, then they wouldn't exist.

Yes, of course I'm not after any "answers" as such, but as conversations go, they can spark off and hopefully become quite interesting.

I didn't need to post this, but, no-one need post anything unless they're after specific advice.

If everyone were like you, then this place would die out very quickly.

* Why aren't you attacking any of the other "off topic" discussions?

The whole Jesus thread one is a good one. For all intents and purposes, it is as useless as mine though.

Yeah exactly, there's no "getting it" with musical taste. You clearly don't get it, so why do you even bother asking why we like it? I used to hate harsh vox, but now I like them a lot.

Seems like YOU'VE pigeoned yourself in a corner by not being open to anything different.

"that's what makes forums." - what? people saying random shit that enters there head?

i certainly can not speak for the entire internet, but i can't imagine people are gonna be like "HEY GUIZ RHYS LLEWELLYLNYLN DOESNT LIKE DEATHMETAL THATS WELL INTERESTING!"

i think a forum would die out quick if it was full of people making threads on things that cant be discussed, debated or commented on.

Yeah exactly, there's no "getting it" with musical taste. You clearly don't get it, so why do you even bother asking why we like it? I used to hate harsh vox, but now I like them a lot.

Seems like YOU'VE pigeoned yourself in a corner by not being open to anything different.

Fair point, I guess.

I'm not asking you to show me how to like it though.

I'm saying what I don't like about it, not what you do like about it.

You say yourself that the vocals at one point put you off, so surely we're not on totally different wavelengths?

Maybe it was for you how it was for me... I love Dream Theater, but used to hate Labrie's voice but could see past it for the music. Now I love (at least most) of his vocals. The same with pop though... Some music is just infectious.

Maybe it was for you how it was for me... I love Dream Theater, but used to hate Labrie's voice but could see past it for the music. Now I love (at least most) of his vocals. The same with pop though... Some music is just infectious.

DT was the first metal band I listened to. I think the first time I enjoyed harsh vox was Children of Bodom. Then on to Opeth and the like, and so forth.

Post above I agree haha! Try checking out Scar Symmetry :) epic lows and growls but you can understand them. If you can't decipher them, I hve no advice I guess :p

I first heard dying fetus when i was about 13, and wasn't sure whether to laugh or be sick.
The vocals don't appeal to very many people at first. But when you start to like it, the change will be VERY quick.

Anyway, you need to listen to songs that have more in common musically with what you are probably used to.
This is the first death metal song that i ever liked, hopefully you will be able to do the same.
Its like with alcoholism (sort of lol) "The first step is accepting that there is beautfiul/awesome music there, and then you will find it"

and another very melodic song (kind of death/black metal)

and a black metal song....

and please, don't ever say that black/death metal sound the same, you just sound ignorant

Last edited by a moderator: