So how many of you have heard the new disc?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I have been playing it for about 10 days now (thanks to Ken Golden's super fast service). I am digging it more and more with each spin. That said, I never understood the flak Artemisia received from many a fan, and I still hold it in high regard. Obviously the debut is still my favourite because it's simply the first album that melded Liquid Tension Experiment with Dream Theater and Meshuggah so seamlessly. The second disc veered into more melodic territory with more harmony vocals and stuff. This new strikes the perfect balance it seems, though it is a lot less fusiony than their first. The crunchy tone is prevalant and the vocal hooks abound. I really love that there are both guitar and keyboard solos here, with varied tone selections and stuff. Not since the first Circus Maximus album has another band achieved these unison leads so perfectly. I've already expressed my thoughts on the production, the mastering being a bit too compressed and loud for my tastes. In that respect, it can be likened to the second Spheric Universe Experience disc, but compositionally this one surpasses that album.

Any thoughts?

Not to kick your commets about the production, but I must admit that the production on the new album is the thing that lifted this new record to great heights for me. I think it makes Paul's vocals fit in way better (especially the harmony vocals) and there's more tonal definition in Marcel's guitar tones. Artemisia to me sounded very harsh and the slight lack of compression made some solo's and passages from Paul really scream out above the mix, disturbing my ears. Now everything seams to fall together and there aren't any harse peaks in the music.

I've noticed you also said something about clippings and to be honest I didn't hear any. Maybe it has something to do with the delicacy of your soundsystem?

Just my thoughts,

Greets,
Sebas.

Finally got mine and have had enough time with it to make a valid judgement. I will say first that 1. I REEEALLY liked artemisia and that 2. It is really hard to meet high expectations I always seem to place on follow ups. That being said Lotus has met and exceeded both my expectations and my love for Artimisa! It is an AMAZING album, with an excellent tracklist with no weakspots. If I had to choose, I'd say On again/Off again was my least fave, but i thought the same about Tip-toe first couple plays, but the more i played it, the more it grew on me and i think On Again will be a similar transition. This release is just bigger and better than the rest, more powerful vox, more prominent and moving keys, more killer riffs, etc. BRAVO SUN CAGED on a spectacular opus! Lotus Effect is my current album of the year!