So i analyzed my kick, snare, and overall mix.. care to take a look?

Jun 2, 2005
Kick:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...nalyzerTGM.jpg

Snare:

Overall mix:

Now i will compare the kick, snare with a lot of bands that i think have a good kick and snare.. see if i can come close to that.. always interesting and good to learn.. however, what do you all think of kick and the snare, and the mix?

What would you change?

Just trying to learn stuff here.. about frequencies, EQ'ing, and what they should sound and look like when analyzed..

Cheers!

^now you've only got to put
around them :)

btw, i have no experience with paz, so i'm also eagerly awaiting comments n stuff :)

He's showing the frequency analyzing of a few things. The kick and snare look great. The overall mix looks a little "loose" in the stereo image for my taste. However, your stuff sounds great, so it's not a big deal. Sometimes the image can look like yours and sound all whacked out.

Brett, the PAZ Analyzer is a really great tool, it lets you see what the instrument (snare, kick, bass guitar, guitar, vocals, etc.) is putting out frequency-wise, and where it's really at in the stereo image. It helps a lot when mixing to show you what is fighting with what, if you're ever pulling your hair out trying to figure it all out by ear and just can't seem to find the offending tracks. :) It's a great learning tool as well, it really shows you what your mix looks like.

~006

Well, the interesting thing is this.. comparing them to the big boys..

Again, here are my PAZ settings of the kick and the snare, leaving the mix for what it is for now.

Kick:

kickPAZanalyzerTGM.jpg

Snare:

snarePAZanalyzerTGM.jpg

Now here are the big boys:

pantera kick:

panterakick.jpg

Mnemic kick:

mnemickick.jpg

Fear factory snare:

FFsnare.jpg

And the pantera snare:

panterasnare.jpg

I just think this is pretty interesting, comparing them a bit, and using the PAZ analyzer, is pretty usefull.. just like 006 said..

Offcourse, mixing should be done by ear, but i wonder how many big producers actually use a analyzer like this..

(sorry for the big pics)

I use the PAZ thingy to check stuff below 60Hz pretty much exclusively.

All pictures seem like quick screenshot. You should stick the PAZ on, play the the track from begining to end with the "memory" thingy on. then you'll know what the overall frequency response is.

I'd also pay more attention to RMS than PEAK.

006 said:
Brett, the PAZ Analyzer is a really great tool, it lets you see what the instrument (snare, kick, bass guitar, guitar, vocals, etc.) is putting out frequency-wise, and where it's really at in the stereo image. It helps a lot when mixing to show you what is fighting with what, if you're ever pulling your hair out trying to figure it all out by ear and just can't seem to find the offending tracks. :) It's a great learning tool as well, it really shows you what your mix looks like.

~006

I just read this. Sorry.

An experienced engineer should know WHICH frequencies are causing problems without having to look at frequency analysers. and yes I have used the PAZ and I found that looking at the thing and then processing the area that looks wrong didn't get me where I wanted to go.

I don't mean to offend anyone here (as usual) but use your ears.Think about sound engineers back in the days of analog... they made (TO ME) the best recordings up to this date and they didn't have any of this stuff... Yes until neve and ssl put phase correlation meters on their consoles (which are not very accurate to my ears - specially the ones found in the neve VR60.)

All IMHO.

just out of curiosity - my snare and kick are really
dead center when displayed in the stereo field of the paz.
the mnemic and pantera stuff above has a wider image -
is this due to the fact that this is the whole mix or
after reverb or do my samples suck :)
theyre mono after all so they should be center ...

Gomez said:
I just read this. Sorry.

An experienced engineer should know WHICH frequencies are causing problems without having to look at frequency analysers. and yes I have used the PAZ and I found that looking at the thing and then processing the area that looks wrong didn't get me where I wanted to go.

I don't mean to offend anyone here (as usual) but use your ears.Think about sound engineers back in the days of analog... they made (TO ME) the best recordings up to this date and they didn't have any of this stuff... Yes until neve and ssl put phase correlation meters on their consoles (which are not very accurate to my ears - specially the ones found in the neve VR60.)

All IMHO.

This is a recording forum not everyone in here is a PRO AE so this shit might interest some people like myself. and why not utilize technoligy like the PAZ if its available today. being able to hear and see the frequencies has got to be a good thing.